• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

About TIG welding, a little of my own amateur experience ----- studio construction overview

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't know the price of this galvanized square pipe in Canada or around you, but the average salary in my place is 120RMB/ day, and in Canada, it is also calculated according to 120 Canadian dollars/day. My daily salary can buy about 15 meters of this size square pipe, but 120 Canadian dollars should be able to buy 30 meters, or even more -- maybe 40 meters? So please don't worry about your income to price ratio, we are the ones who should be worried and worried - ha ha

These matters are all VERY complicated. As you have suggested, it really isn't right to compare the cost of steel on an adjusted exchange rate. This is true for everything, not just steel.

Other factors include income, taxes, subsidies, cost of living, quality of life, etc etc.

One very reasonable way to compare such things is to look at what we call disposable income. Disposable income is how much money you have left over after all other bills and taxes have been paid. In other words, how much is left to buy toys or vacations or other luxuries.

On this basis, people living in the USA used to be twice as wealthy as Canadians because they had twice as much left over. It used to be that Canadians had about double the disposable income as people living in China. But I don't know what those numbers are today.

It's easy to compare raw costs of metal, but that ignores affordability. It also ignores government policies which are usually designed to improve international competitivity. These policies can have a huge affect on the cost of certain products and materials.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
No, living in China is different from living in Canada. There are about 700 families living in this relatively closed and managed area. I am one of them

It looks like an apartment complex/condo unit, there are many people that have that living situation here

What I ment more, where is your living area ? Or is that a seperate unit in your building you can buy and do whattever you like with?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I think what @Susquatch is trying to explain is what is referred to as "purchasing power parity", there are quite a few videos explaining it online

Basically it doesn't matter if it costs 10$ there and 50$ here if at the day you have 15$ there and you have 75$ here, it's the same price

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
它看起来像一个公寓大楼/公寓单元,这里有很多人有这种生活情况

更重要的是,你的生活区在哪里?或者是您建筑物中的一个单独单元,您可以购买并随心所欲地使用它?
It's hard to explain because of the language difference. This is my studio, which is my DIY site. It is in a square box with my home (about 350m*350m). w is about 300 meters away from my home. My studio is a garage area with commercial use upstairs (currently vacant), so it is very quiet and there are no noise complaints from neighbours. So very suitable for my mechanical maintenance, entertainment!

Relatively speaking, I currently invest a lot of money and time. There are few such good conditions to set up DIY studios in China. I have very few other hobbies. Most of my spare time and money is spent on machinery. So I will eventually win, I firmly believe that I will improve my ability in this field soon!