A New to Me Atlas 10F

Proxule

Ultra Member
I do not know how you can conclude this.

By that logic some odd 3/4 of the members of this forum don't look after their machines. More of us are messy and disorganized, than are tidy and organized.

Yet, I would argue that anyone who is a member here looks after their machines at least as well as the neatest tidiest machinest out there.

Certainly, I would not hesitate to buy a machine from a member. Nor would I hesitate to buy a machine from a disorganized machinist. I don't believe there is any correlation at all between tidy and organized and machine maintenance and usage or abuse.

I think it's better to look for oil on the ways and signs of oil running out of bearings and bushings. I want to see that oil. I can't do that if everything is always looking spotless or painted or clean.

I'd even go as far as to say that fresh paint and a spotless machine are a red flag for me. They make me wonder what they are hiding?

To be clear, I am not knocking those who like a tidy organized shop. I think that's their nature and its ok. But I don't knock a disorganized messy shop either. They are both just normal segments of the population. Neither one is a good proxy for a machines condition one way or the other.
:D

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
it's better to look for oil on the ways and signs of oil running out of bearings and bushings. I want to see that oil
yes - and the permanent stain that can’t be wiped off because the excess oil has always been there.
fresh paint and a spotless machine are a red flag for me.
I agree sort-a:
I’d say definitely not a green light, more like an orange light.
When I’m selling something I give it an external rehab so that it looks good in a picture. I can prove that I look after my things better than the average guy, but that might not be obvious when you first look at that thing for sale.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
yes - and the permanent stain that can’t be wiped off because the excess oil has always been there.

I agree sort-a:
I’d say definitely not a green light, more like an orange light.
When I’m selling something I give it an external rehab so that it looks good in a picture. I can prove that I look after my things better than the average guy, but that might not be obvious when you first look at that thing for sale.

I agree with that @CWret. Fundamentally, I think the majority of buyers are prolly impressed by fresh paint and clean machines. I think many sellers try to present their equipment that way.

I'm a bit extreme. When I sell, I try to be totally transparent. What you see is what you get and here is a list of its faults.

But that's all about selling.

When I buy, I am skeptical and wary of being conned unless I know the seller.

But, I totally agree with your yellow light. That's a good philosophy. I think it prolly applies to both clean and dirty machines. Never judge a book by its cover. Look under the covers and examine the details.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Fundamentally, I think the majority of buyers are prolly impressed by fresh paint
I am definitely impressed when I see an old machine with fresh paint. My impression: "This guy thinks I am so stupid that I will be fooled by a quick paint job; he must be hiding something".
But, I never seem to be in the majority. :)

I'm also impressed when I see something for sale with unclear pictures, or pictures showing a machine covered with debris and scattered tools. My impression: It's an arrogant seller who wants the money but 'can't be bothered' to do a simple clean up so I don't waste my time travelling to see the machine. Part of the 'barn find' ethos ?

Clean up the machine and the work area. Give the machine a wipe with a rag. Remove items not included in the sale. Turn on the lights. Take some pictures. Type a description, with a basic list of included items. If that's too difficult, list it in the Free section -"machine, no details, haul it away". :).

Last edited:

SightlessSeer

Actually, it's an outstanding price, especially for the Bison. When I ordered one of those chucks from HHRoberts last year, the guy on the phone told me they only had a few left, so I wouldn't hesitate if you want one. I've recommended them to a few guys in the Logan groups. N.B. :Those chucks are NOS and have been sitting on the shelf for years (40 ?). My Bison was pretty gummed up and needed dismantling, cleaning and a bit of deburring before it would work as smoothly as I like.
I ordered it this morning. Seems like a nice guy too

I do not know how you can conclude this.

By that logic some odd 3/4 of the members of this forum don't look after their machines. More of us are messy and disorganized, than are tidy and organized.

Yet, I would argue that anyone who is a member here looks after their machines at least as well as the neatest tidiest machinest out there.

Certainly, I would not hesitate to buy a machine from a member. Nor would I hesitate to buy a machine from a disorganized machinist. I don't believe there is any correlation at all between tidy and organized and machine maintenance and usage or abuse.

I think it's better to look for oil on the ways and signs of oil running out of bearings and bushings. I want to see that oil. I can't do that if everything is always looking spotless or painted or clean.

I'd even go as far as to say that fresh paint and a spotless machine are a red flag for me. They make me wonder what they are hiding?

To be clear, I am not knocking those who like a tidy organized shop. I think that's their nature and its ok. But I don't knock a disorganized messy shop either. They are both just normal segments of the population. Neither one is a good proxy for a machines condition one way or the other.
I definitely agree that a tidy workshop/machine isn't definitive of how it's been used, but it can be an indication of the kind of person who owns it. For example, a man who keeps his shop organized is more likely to have not lost/separated accessories of the machine. On the other hand he also might not oil the machine every time he uses it because that makes a mess on his perfectly clean bench. It can go both ways.

That definitely doesn't mean blindly buy a good looking tool or don't buy a dirty one. It's just another piece of info.

Welcome from Vancouver!

Good score, nothing wrong with an Atlas lathe that can’t be offset with a bit of care.

I would suggest that converting it to CNC using a Mac SE might be a bit of a challenge.
My other hobby is electronics ;)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
That is a great score!

My first impression is that the gears were not properly lubricated, so you need to check all the lubrication points to ensure the there is not dried oil/grit in them.

Even so, you have easily more than your purchase price in tooling. I think you did very well. If you have seen the Williams and Andersen tool holder prices lately, there is easily 125$ in tool holders alone (for instance)... you are going to get great use out of it; if you need to upgrade some day in the future, you will certainly get all your money out if it.