A New to Me Atlas 10F

SightlessSeer

I've been looking for a lathe for several months now (one of the reasons I joined this forum was to keep an eye on the Classifieds and Spotted Deals sections). My general criteria were not too expensive, not too big, not too heavy, but capable enough that I am not going to be too limited in capability. To be a little more specific, I decided that an 8-11" x 20-36" capacity benchtop lathe was about right for me. Browsing the the internet, the main names that came up for kind of machine I want were South Bend, Logan, Myford and Atlas.

Last Friday, I came across a Kijiji Ad for a "Machine Lathe" a little more than 3 hours away from me for $600. The seller didn't mention a make or model, but I recognized it as an Atlas and after playing a bit of spot the difference with an old Atlas catalog I figured it was an Atlas 10F with the Timkin bearing spindle and a 54" bed.

As you can see from the screenshots of the ad, the description wasn't great, but it looked like they guy had a solid amount of extras that were going to come with it and the lathe looked to be in good condition. For $600 I figured even if it was pretty clapped out, it would still be worth picking up.

I messaged the seller and arranged to meet on Sunday to take a look at the machine. A snowy 320 km later, I got to see the lathe in person. The lathe is in great shape. No play in the spindle, lead screw looks immaculate, the ways don't have any significant chips or dents in them, the spindle and tailstock taper are in good shape, the carriage, compound and cross slide all move freely, power traverse and power cross feed both work. The motor wiring isn't even scary. The seller even included a solid amount of tooling, a couple test indicators, dividers and calipers. The only things that I can think of that I wish were included three jaw chuck and a follow rest. Basically everything in that shop that was even tangentially lathe related I got. And all this was $600!

While we packed up everything the seller, a very nice 90 year old gentleman, told us that the reason that he was getting rid of everything was that he and his wife are planning to move to a retirement community next year and since he turned 90 he hardly used any of his tools anymore. Very fortunate for me! He made a point of showing me all of the controls and went into detail on how to use the machine and how to maintain it (this was unnecessary as I did some machine shop work while still in school, but was a nice thought all the same).

I brought my 4'x6' trailer to haul the lathe home on, but it turns out that an Atlas 10F TH54 fits into the trunk of an '07 Honda Civic coupe with the seats folded down.

That was definitely better than bring the lathe home on my open utility trailer and exposing it to the salt and grit of the road.

Right now, I've got the lathe is sitting in my garage and the boxes of tooling all over my living room. I need to build a suitable bench to mount it on before I can get it set up and I'd like to get a decent toolbox with drawers so I can organize the tooling a bit. All other things equal, I would probably choose a South Bend 9" over the Atlas 10", but for $600, I am over the moon. I figure this is a prefect setup to get started and can acquire more stuff as I need it.

The first major project I have for this thing is to make a new lid for a candy machine that I picked up at a thrift store in early December. It's a simple enough shape, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Attachments

• IMG_2534.JPG
    IMG_2534.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 13

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Welcome from the stormy west coast.

Congrats, looks like you got a very good deal.

This is probably the best deal you'll find on a new 3 jaw chuck for your machine;

It is an NOS Bison chuck out of Mississauga, would be a bit of a drive this time of year but shipping to you shouldn't be to bad.

I bought an Atlas 618 a while back from a older gentlemen in the same situation, the machine was well looked after and also came with a bunch of "stuff". The machine is gone now but I still have some of the extra stuff that came with it.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Welcome to the forum from the east coast and congratulations on your new machine!

Winter will be the perfect time to hibernate and explore your new machine. Enjoy and keep us up to date on getting up and running.

D :cool:

Welcome from Lillooet BC.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures of the projects as they start churning off the chuck. As far as chucks go, a three jaw is nice and easy, but a four jaw is a necessity....... Imho...
$600 huh? You suck! But, we'll let you stick around. (at least until we've spent enough of your money to make up the difference on what you should have paid, plus a little. ):p

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island! That's a great price on a nice looking lathe. Should keep you turning for quite some time.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from farm country near Chatham Ontario.

Sounds like you made an old man happy and got a great machine too. Gotta love it when the stars align like that!

SightlessSeer

This is probably the best deal you'll find on a new 3 jaw chuck for your machine;

It is an NOS Bison chuck out of Mississauga, would be a bit of a drive this time of year but shipping to you shouldn't be to bad.
Thanks for the lead on this. I'll definitely keep it in mind. There is a place near me that sells a bunch of used/surplus tools that I'll probably check out first, but if that fails $190 like a seems fair price.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Welcome from Oakville! There should be a serial number plate on the tailstock end of the bed. Using it, someone can look up on HobbyMachinist approximately when your machine was manufactured. If you are curious.

Looks like your lathe is in really nice condition. The 10F series lathes are really common so if you do need a part or two, they can be located without too much difficulty. Clausing Industrial eventually purchased the Atlas business and can still supply some replacement parts directly.

Craig

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you made an old man happy and got a great machine too. Gotta love it when the stars align like that!
Agreed.
$600 huh? You suck! But, we'll let you stick around. (at least until we've spent enough of your money to make up the difference on what you should have paid, plus a little. ):p
Ditto

Maybe later this year I’ll finally get a lathe - your find would work for me.

You may have it forever - or - use it to learn and then upgrade. Either way it’s perfect :)

SightlessSeer

Welcome from Oakville! There should be a serial number plate on the tailstock end of the bed. Using it, someone can look up on HobbyMachinist approximately when your machine was manufactured. If you are curious.

Looks like your lathe is in really nice condition. The 10F series lathes are really common so if you do need a part or two, they can be located without too much difficulty. Clausing Industrial eventually purchased the Atlas business and can still supply some replacement parts directly.

Craig

Thanks for the tip. I'll make an account there. I'd guess my machine is from the 50's based on the age of the seller, but that's assuming that he bought it new. It'd be interesting to check against the database and find out.

I actually learned just yesterday about Clausing supporting Atlas stuff and was glad to hear it. Could definitely make things easier

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
$190 like a seems fair price.
Actually, it's an outstanding price, especially for the Bison. When I ordered one of those chucks from HHRoberts last year, the guy on the phone told me they only had a few left, so I wouldn't hesitate if you want one. I've recommended them to a few guys in the Logan groups. N.B. :Those chucks are NOS and have been sitting on the shelf for years (40 ?). My Bison was pretty gummed up and needed dismantling, cleaning and a bit of deburring before it would work as smoothly as I like.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Welcome aboard.
Nice machine you snagged, Easy to judge how one kept his machines, Based on his shadow board and organization, Not to mention a well kept tidy area and machine, Safe to assume its a healthy unit.

TImken bearing you say, Sign me up!!

Enjoy the forums.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver!

Good score, nothing wrong with an Atlas lathe that can’t be offset with a bit of care.

I would suggest that converting it to CNC using a Mac SE might be a bit of a challenge.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice machine you snagged, Easy to judge how one kept his machines, Based on his shadow board and organization, Not to mention a well kept tidy area and machine, Safe to assume its a healthy unit.

I do not know how you can conclude this.

By that logic some odd 3/4 of the members of this forum don't look after their machines. More of us are messy and disorganized, than are tidy and organized.

Yet, I would argue that anyone who is a member here looks after their machines at least as well as the neatest tidiest machinest out there.

Certainly, I would not hesitate to buy a machine from a member. Nor would I hesitate to buy a machine from a disorganized machinist. I don't believe there is any correlation at all between tidy and organized and machine maintenance and usage or abuse.

I think it's better to look for oil on the ways and signs of oil running out of bearings and bushings. I want to see that oil. I can't do that if everything is always looking spotless or painted or clean.

I'd even go as far as to say that fresh paint and a spotless machine are a red flag for me. They make me wonder what they are hiding?

To be clear, I am not knocking those who like a tidy organized shop. I think that's their nature and its ok. But I don't knock a disorganized messy shop either. They are both just normal segments of the population. Neither one is a good proxy for a machines condition one way or the other.