• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

a little excitement in my day

We should have reasonable enough laws that they are enforced equally for all.
There are already tons of laws on the books that are not enforced equally, if at all. That's the first problem and leaves many people open to multiple attacks, a very few of which result in some good, ol' fashioned street justice. If the executive & judicial branches are not doing their jobs properly, what other choice is there?

Second, there are a lot of unjust laws on the books. By definition, they cannot be wrong, but they are still unjust. Again, what choice does John Q Citizen have?

I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that the cops having to decide what to enforce and not enforce (they shouldn't have that power) is indicative the problem; it is wrong but is a result of unbalanced/unfair laws

The sound of pump action 12 gauge shotgun..... will also rattle, the brown stuff from your neighbors shorts!
My problem with this approach is that in your heart you have to commit yourself to the possibility that you are either about to kill someone or be killed in return. Face to face and very few feet apart, you might be surprised how few holding the shotgun will come out ahead. Just sayin', this should always be the last resort, some basic self defense lessons for those that didn't hone those skills on the playground or bar room at an earlier time, would be my first choice.

My problem with this approach is that in your heart you have to commit yourself to the possibility that you are either about to kill someone or be killed in return. Face to face and very few feet apart, you might be surprised how few holding the shotgun will come out ahead. Just sayin', this should always be the last resort, some basic self defense lessons for those that didn't hone those skills on the playground or bar room at an earlier time, would be my first choice.
No one said you have to rack a round!
Dry cycle or snap caps is the same - Almost the same :D

Years ago I use to shoot 44 mag S&W, 357 Python, Burgo 357 two shot Deringer as well as rifles a Police friend told my girlfriend if you have to put a weapon in their hand.

Assuming this man is in your house knowingly unwelcome and he is there for personal reasons and not interested in your possessions…. His heart has certainly made its own commitments.

While I have no sympathy for invader, and lack of punishment is often disgusting, that story itself illustrates the wrong ..... the cops should not be deciding which laws to enforce or not. We should have reasonable enough laws that they are enforced equally for all.

The other thing in all this is the fluke, you know, the one punch causes the guy to hit his and die. It happens ..... then you get a 10 stay at the crowbar hotel for manslaughter. Or the guy is a psycho and burns your house down in the middle of the night. No thanks, handle these like adults going by the book, not kids on the playground, regardless of how tempting it might be.
Yes I agree but I understand why some lean towards "shoot, shovel and shut up".

No one said you have to rack a round!
Dry cycle or snap caps is the same - Almost the same :D
An empty gun is a death sentence. Point a gun my way, and it better be loaded....
My point is, you're scared, you're fumbling trying to get the gun out of the safe (yeah, right), but you still need to fumble out a shell, get it into the magazine, and then into the chamber. Valuable time has passed and there's a good chance that you have as well.
I have nothing against guns, but I believe there are better self defence mechanisms in most cases. Let's face it, when bad things happen, they happen fast, and unless you're walking around with a loaded gun on your possession, it's not going to be your best option. Fortunately, very few of us will find ourselves in that position, but most all of us will have to deal with a bonehead like @Dabbler did from time to time..... Body language and attitude are going to take you further than the above in most cases, imho. And if you need a weapon, look around the room you are sitting in right now, I am sure there's at least a half dozen things at hand that can be weaponized a lot faster than a gun.

Assuming this man is in your house knowingly unwelcome and he is there for personal reasons and not interested in your possessions…. His heart has certainly made its own commitments.
.... Been there and bought the tee shirt, trust me, there was no time for a gun. Yes, violence has a place in my heart, but I prefer to try and live a little more peaceful these days. Situational awareness simply can't be overstated.

you're fumbling trying to get the gun out of the safe (yeah, right), but you still need to fumble out a shell, get it into the magazine, and then into the chamber.
What, You don't have a John Wick hidden compartment above your main door that swings out 2 long guns, a .357 revolver and a shot of tequila everything you open the door ? :D

The sound of pump action 12 gauge shotgun..... will also rattle, the brown stuff from your neighbors shorts!
The Ancient Martial Art of "Shick-Shick!"

I have heard that noise in the dark (long stupid story, from my youth) and I can say with some certainty, that the sound comes across LOUD!

And, very motivating! LOL!

In most, if not all the instances, that I have gone forth carrying a firearm to deal with a problem, I have already made up my mind, that convincing twelve to spare me, beats hells out of finding six to carry me!

If it comes down to anyone else becoming involved...

Something to always remember. Be careful what you say to the police if involved in an incident. The way you choose your words can make a big difference.

If it is something serious, try to be polite and mention that you have just been involved in a serious incident and you are still shaken up from it and "I would be best to speak to my attorney first".

Also, not many people know this....when you call 911 they are recording the minute you dial..... careful what you are saying before they answer the line. Give clean information, but don't tell them your life story. :) Be the first to call 911.

Now on a funnier note, when I caught a gent trying to break into my house (he ran off), I asked the police officer that attended if I caught him,could I keep him. The officer smiled and said only until I get here. lol

I agree a police report cannot stop a bullet or an aggressive crazy.

Perhaps my language was too subtle for some. Violence is only a last resort to avoid serious bodily harm or death. That is in part what I mean by "measured response". You do what you have to do to save yourself.

Back