• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

A few jokes

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Would you be sentenced in your country for a politically sensitive topic? ------- I know it won't!

But in my country it will!!

So when I see you talking about the word "politics" very seriously, I feel that you are playing a child's game, because there is no risk. For us ---- is a matter of life and death !!!!!

So feel free to discuss ————————————————————————

Nobody is going to kill you for having a political debate or a difference of opinion here in Canada. But you might get banned from our forum!

It's good to be reminded of how fortunate we are here. Most of us tend to forget that.

When I visited China on business around 2010 or so, we were very strictly told that we would never go home if we talked about government or religion, or took pictures of the police.

terry_g

Ultra Member
613f8a6cffeaee67011e9affc22f9faa

trevj

Ultra Member
All - I just deleted a bunch of posts that were too political. I know that in itself will ruffle some feathers. But politics is one of the strongest rules we have on here. Even jokes are offensive to some. I confess they don't bother me, but the rule is there for a reason.

I also confess I used my own judgement on what to zap and what to keep. Basically, I decided that agnostic political humour was ok.

Lots and lots of good jokes around to share without getting into politics.

My job is tough enough as it is. I'd appreciate it if everyone just avoided politics.
On a side note to that, why am I still subscribed to a thread that my postings were deleted from?

Serious question!

I will state outright that the problem with political posts is usually one of two things. First, someone needs to grow a thicker skin. Second, they need to read the first thing again! :p LOL!

Denis Diderot had the right of it! :)

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
On a side note to that, why am I still subscribed to a thread that my postings were deleted from?

Serious question!

I will state outright that the problem with political posts is usually one of two things. First, someone needs to grow a thicker skin. Second, they need to read the first thing again! :p LOL!

Denis Diderot had the right of it! :)

Never heard of Denis Diderot. Thank you, he’s pretty interesting.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Serious question!

A serious question deserves a serious answer Trev.

It depends on your own account settings. For the typical user, posting on a thread automatically subscribes them to that thread. Even if your post gets deleted, your subscription remains active.

If you don't like that you can either change your automatic setting so you don't get automatically subscribed (account, preferences, content options......) or you can manually remove your subscription from that particular thread by deselecting the unwatch box at the top of the thread.

Thanks for the note about Denis Diderot - I never heard of him before either.

trevj

Ultra Member
A serious question deserves a serious answer Trev.

It depends on your own account settings. For the typical user, posting on a thread automatically subscribes them to that thread. Even if your post gets deleted, your subscription remains active.

If you don't like that you can either change your automatic setting so you don't get automatically subscribed (account, preferences, content options......) or you can manually remove your subscription from that particular thread by deselecting the unwatch box at the top of the thread.

Thanks for the note about Denis Diderot - I never heard of him before either.
OK, thanks! That makes sense.

IIRC, it was a paraphrase of the first quote on that web page linked above, that got me wiped! LOL!

trlvn

Ultra Member
I beg to disagree. The problem is that leaving ‘baiting’ comments leads to escalation. Zero tolerance prevents such problems

Craig

trevj

Ultra Member
I beg to disagree. The problem is that leaving ‘baiting’ comments leads to escalation. Zero tolerance prevents such problems

Craig
Actually, skipping over the comment, and not getting suckered in, solves it all without any Moderation work. One soon learns whose words are worth reading, and whose are not.

I generally have a low opinion of pretty much ALL political stripes, and am not shy about saying so when someone does something dumb. As someone mentioned, ripping in to the deeds and quotes from various Pol's was a cornerstone of a great deal of humor, esp on the CBC. You could catch up on the weeks news on a Saturday morning, as they raked each one over the coals! LOL! They didn't play favorites, all were equally treated when they did or said something stupid, as they deserved.

I kinda miss those days, nowadays the media don't even try to pretend they don't have a bias!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Never heard of Denis Diderot. Thank you, he’s pretty interesting.

I have a wonderful saying, If something you read on the internet seems hard to believe, it probably isn't true.

I found many of the quotes attributed to Diterot rather odd for a philosopher living in the 1700s, and little hard to swallow. So I did some digging. I found that many of his famous quotes are highly questionable and many have been incorrectly attributed to him or are just plain out fabricated out of thin air.

For example, an extensive review that I saw claimed that he never said the very first one about kings and priests although something similar had been said by a commoner before him.

Diterot was also in France and so there are translation issues to contend with that also lend an opportunity to modify what he might have really meant.

This same thing is true for Einstein who is frequently misquoted austensibly to add credibility to something someone else wants to promote for their own purposes.

I think many people lack credibility of their own so they fabricate a quote from someone more famous to support their views.

For me at least, established science based facts are a better foundation, and over time scientific experiments significantly improve the facts. But even these are suspect when politics get involved. Scientists don't like to go hungry any more than anyone else. You don't need to quote anyone to know the voracity of the old adage "follow the money".

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Actually, skipping over the comment, and not getting suckered in, solves it all without any Moderation work.

The problem is that we are not all equal in our ability to do that. Some can, some have moderate ability, and some can't resist at all. And so the escalation begins.

Speaking only for myself, I am happiest when members debate facts, methods, and results in a friendly way so that we can all learn and improve.

FWIW, I too miss the "Good old days", and I have a really strong distrust of the media today.

trevj

Ultra Member
I have a wonderful saying, If something you read on the internet seems hard to believe, it probably isn't true.

I found many of the quotes attributed to Diterot rather odd for a philosopher living in the 1700s, and little hard to swallow. So I did some digging. I found that many of his famous quotes are highly questionable and many have been incorrectly attributed to him or are just plain out fabricated out of thin air.

For example, an extensive review that I saw claimed that he never said the very first one about kings and priests although something similar had been said by a commoner before him.

Diterot was also in France and so there are translation issues to contend with that also lend an opportunity to modify what he might have really meant.

This same thing is true for Einstein who is frequently misquoted austensibly to add credibility to something someone else wants to promote for their own purposes.

I think many people lack credibility of their own so they fabricate a quote from someone more famous to support their views.

For me at least, established science based facts are a better foundation, and over time scientific experiments significantly improve the facts. But even these are suspect when politics get involved. Scientists don't like to go hungry any more than anyone else. You don't need to quote anyone to know the voracity of the old adage "follow the money".
Indeed, attribution can be...sketchy...while looking at who to assign as the author of such statements as these. I had thought that it was from Voltaire, in the past, the 'guts' comment.

I suspect that in a far smaller world, full of less who could actually read, that a great number of the attributable phrases got recycled, and re-written, as the years passed.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Indeed, attribution can be...sketchy...while looking at who to assign as the author of such statements as these. I had thought that it was from Voltaire, in the past, the 'guts' comment.

I suspect that in a far smaller world, full of less who could actually read, that a great number of the attributable phrases got recycled, and re-written, as the years passed.
"People make up sh$t"
trevj 2023