DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/583575189505290/
b15e9b58039606205d5d8d7d0b75f42c.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Unless these are some nice brand name its not a good deal. The price is $5 each. Price new is 6.50. Since seller did not mention some brand name I have a feeling these are standard Chinese ones, not even top of the line Chinese.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I agree with Tom. Collets are something that pays back to buy the best you can afford. I'd be inclined to pay a bit more and get it from a dealer where you might have some recourse should you get a defective collet or a duplicate - that is one missing size because you have a duplicate. It has happened to me.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Darrin
A newbie question here. Are there 80 different sizes of ER32?

I can find about 23 each of metric and imperial.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The 80 set most likely has lots of repeats - the ER collets have in metric usually 1mm clamping range - say 12-13. BUT they can also have just one size listed and have less flexibility - I have an ER collets (in ER40) that are marked as just one size and visibly more rigid. Some smaller collets may be marked with just one size, say 1/8.

Set of 18 is usually the metric set.

Also with collets you can have some that are used and kind of "abused". This is a precision instrument - so "used" from unknown source are like a lottery.

I know most known this, but for ER you use the collet that is in its max range same or a bit bigger then the tool, i.e. for 12mm EM you use 11-12 not 12-13. For 1/2 you either use one stamped 1/2 (me) or 12-13. I.e. you want to avoid collet flexing