• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

80 pcs ER32 collet set $400

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/583575189505290/
b15e9b58039606205d5d8d7d0b75f42c.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Unless these are some nice brand name its not a good deal. The price is $5 each. Price new is 6.50. Since seller did not mention some brand name I have a feeling these are standard Chinese ones, not even top of the line Chinese.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I agree with Tom. Collets are something that pays back to buy the best you can afford. I'd be inclined to pay a bit more and get it from a dealer where you might have some recourse should you get a defective collet or a duplicate - that is one missing size because you have a duplicate. It has happened to me.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Darrin
A newbie question here. Are there 80 different sizes of ER32?

I can find about 23 each of metric and imperial.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The 80 set most likely has lots of repeats - the ER collets have in metric usually 1mm clamping range - say 12-13. BUT they can also have just one size listed and have less flexibility - I have an ER collets (in ER40) that are marked as just one size and visibly more rigid. Some smaller collets may be marked with just one size, say 1/8.

Set of 18 is usually the metric set.

Also with collets you can have some that are used and kind of "abused". This is a precision instrument - so "used" from unknown source are like a lottery.

I know most known this, but for ER you use the collet that is in its max range same or a bit bigger then the tool, i.e. for 12mm EM you use 11-12 not 12-13. For 1/2 you either use one stamped 1/2 (me) or 12-13. I.e. you want to avoid collet flexing