• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

4x6 Horizontal Bandsaws

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I reworked this saw horse roller stand for the bandsaw - adding the roller and welding handles on the locking adjustment nut. It is much nicer to use now. The old version just spun around and was awkward. Don't look at those horrible welds though :) I suppose it needs paint. I scrounged all the parts just lying around which is always nice.

1609614561807.jpg
1609614515751.jpg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I reworked this saw horse roller stand for the bandsaw - adding the roller and welding handles on the locking adjustment nut. It is much nicer to use now. The old version just spun around and was awkward. Don't look at those horrible welds though :) I suppose it needs paint. I scrounged all the parts just lying around which is always nice.

View attachment 12493

What do other people do? The commercial versions of these things don't go down low enough to work with metal horizontal band saws. Let's see some pictures?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
What do other people do? The commercial versions of these things don't go down low enough to work with metal horizontal band saws. Let's see some pictures?

I built one out of a 2x4. It’s isn’t adjustable and doesn’t look good enough for pictures.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member

I’m using this (you wanted to see bad welding!)

Old brake rotors, tele-posts, ready rod ....

861a72fd358a87cdf0f86c8a6bcf55c4.jpg

And I use the magnet/gantry to move larger materials

683f5705fd4d98c65e85eb6d559e45e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

francist

Super User
I made these quite a few years ago. They work okay but can be a little fussy. Three point adjustability to correct for notoriously uneven concrete floor is handy and I used to have bigger Nylatron rollers but I scavenged them for reuse already so the brass tubes are a half-baked substitute. Although not clearly shown in the photo, the vertical columns are biased about five degrees toward the long leg so they’re not quite as tippy as they look.

Vertical height adjustment on the column in increments of about half an inch using staggered holes and hitch pins. The wire basket is nice for catching off cuts if I’m doing a lot of multiples but in reality doesn’t get used much. I think I’ll phase these out and go with a ballasted monolithic base but for now they still do the job and nest into a fairly small footprint when not in use.

ADF9BD31-0852-4F12-9DC2-835B61C9D089.jpeg

F20937DA-9CFC-48A3-AA31-E5B98BFD70B0.jpeg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I made these quite a few years ago. They work okay but can be a little fussy. Three point adjustability to correct for notoriously uneven concrete floor is handy and I used to have bigger Nylatron rollers but I scavenged them for reuse already so the brass tubes are a half-baked substitute. Although not clearly shown in the photo, the vertical columns are biased about five degrees toward the long leg so they’re not quite as tippy as they look.

Vertical height adjustment on the column in increments of about half an inch using staggered holes and hitch pins. The wire basket is nice for catching off cuts if I’m doing a lot of multiples but in reality doesn’t get used much. I think I’ll phase these out and go with a ballasted monolithic base but for now they still do the job and nest into a fairly small footprint when not in use.

View attachment 12520

View attachment 12521
Nicely executed and nice paint too.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Busy bee sells this roller stand $400 on sale $259. Goes down to 24.5". clever design the top stays level even as you expand it.

1609709617990.png

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I use Record woodworking roller stands, one on each side of the saw. My saw is a little taller than a 4X6.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I used some oddball t-bar from a garage door opener and made a fairly heavy duty stand. I used carriage bolts for leg adjustments as my shop floor is far from even.

Attachments

• 20210103_163423.jpg
    20210103_163423.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 13

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’m not a huge fan of the roller . It’s handy but has caused me more grief than not.

Personal preference I guess . Also a good clue that I don’t cut production runs of steel every day [emoji3]

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have one of these.
It was too low before I built my new saw stand but now it works great.
I have Sharpie lines drawn on centre tube to mark the heights needed for the band saw and table saw.
764c553276058ab4c60458b12d2fdf94.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’m not a huge fan of the roller . It’s handy but has caused me more grief than not.

Personal preference I guess . Also a good clue that I don’t cut production runs of steel every day

Yup the roller isn't perfect for all times that's why I made the roller easy to unbolt and attach a non moving bar that I was going to make...... but haven't yet cuz thats what I made first and haven't got around to making the second part yet. I seem to make do and likely won't get to the second part in this life. o_O

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've owned several brands over the years. There is one advantage of the King in that they have a massive parts warehouse in Quebec, and it is pretty easy to get parts as needed. My experience has been good at least.

As I am on the fabrication side of the hobby here is a consideration I learned when it comes to horizontal band saws: if you have limited shop space AND do a lot of angle cuts to long lengths of tubing like I do, consider a saw that swivels instead of a saw whose vice swivels. This is because if you have to pivot a 12' length of tubing you are cutting at a 45 degree angle, you need lots of sweep space in your shop for the cut. With a swivel saw, the whole saw pivots, so you only need space to run the length of tubing straight in your shop.

Pulling out a typical swivel vice saw into the driveway just so you can make a cut in the middle of a Canadian winter cuts into the fun factor as you get older.

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
Mine started out as a King brand from KMS. It had a roller on the top but I didn't like that so I replaced it with a piece of tubing. It's height adjustable with a pinch bolt. The best thing about it is that it takes up no space when not in use. I had to cut about 2 inches off the uprights so it is short enough for my horizontal saw.

https://www.kmstools.com/king-canada-adjustable-roller-stand-106197

Strong enough for some pretty beefy stuff. This a 10 foot length of 1/2" X 7" steel.

Last edited: