• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

4x6 Horizontal Bandsaws

architect

Super User
I'm looking to get one of these machines and I understand they are all just the same from China customized for different companies. However, it seems like like the King KC-129C provides 2 year warranty compared to 3 year by Busy Bee CX122. Is that indicative of anything or even useful? I can get the King for $100 less right now on sale so that may just be the deciding factor. Busy Bee also has this similar CX109 model that's priced higher and from Taiwan. It's noticeably different design and 40lb heavier compared to all the other typical models. Does anyone have experience and thought with it or whehter it's worth going for with the higher price tag?

EDIT: It appears the CX109 has a rotating head instead of vise. I assume this is better can't don't understand how if someone has insight.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have no experience with either but I have have excellent service from my local KMS tools who sells KIng. I've heard stories of less than great products and service from Busy Bee.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I bought the cheapest busybee version about 15 years ago. I had to replace the motor a couple of years ago. I think the bearings seized up. One thing to note is that on mine the idler wheel runs on a hardened steel bushing rather than a bearing. As long as I give it a bit of oil occasionally it works fine.
It’s one of those tools that once you have it you wonder how you ever did without it!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do a forum search, this has been discussed quite a bit, pros & cons of different models & sizes. I personally value the option to have a table attached in upright mode (vs just swing down chop off mode) but that's a function of work I do. The table mounting is typically cheesy but better than nothing.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I owned King version few years ago. The saw itself is good, the table is extra flimsy made out of sheet metal that falls apart but so are all other clones.

You can usually get a used clone for around $200 or even less.

The one I had was K-129 like you posted a link to - I think like 5 years ago it set me back around 300-350 new. Used for a year.

Since there is close to zero difference between different clones of 4x6 get the cheapest one. Parts do interchange, however the design is quite solid. Same for 7x10 models - these also interchange with ease - even ones that are 30 years old.

The rotating head is to cut at an angle.

Get bi-metal blade online and have a saw blade that will last a very, very long time for home use.

KMS in Calgary area is not much better then BB, through do not expect to ever need any service or warranty for that type of saw unless you ride them extra hard or get a lemon that will be obvious in the first week or so.

architect

Super User
I owned King version few years ago. The saw itself is good, the table is extra flimsy made out of sheet metal that falls apart but so are all other clones.

You can usually get a used clone for around $200 or even less.

The one I had was K-129 like you posted a link to - I think like 5 years ago it set me back around 300-350 new. Used for a year.

Since there is close to zero difference between different clones of 4x6 get the cheapest one. Parts do interchange, however the design is quite solid. Same for 7x10 models - these also interchange with ease - even ones that are 30 years old.

The rotating head is to cut at an angle.

Get bi-metal blade online and have a saw blade that will last a very, very long time for home use.

KMS in Calgary area is not much better then BB, through do not expect to ever need any service or warranty for that type of saw unless you ride them extra hard or get a lemon that will be obvious in the first week or so.
I've been been waiting for a used 4x6 one for almost two months here and nothing. Anything that comes up are bigger industrial ones. These 4x6 can cut at an angle as well by rotating the vise right? The Taiwanese model that weights 40lbs appear to be able to swivel the head instead?

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I converted my 4x6 to a permanent vertical model after I picked up a 7x12. I use the vertical twice as much as the horizontal now. I purchased it from Princess Auto for ~200 bucks 20 years ago. Everyone is correct, the parts are pretty much exchangeable on all of the various models. The 'tables' they send with these are throwaway, and the stand isn't anything to write home about.

As for blades, I can destroy a $50 dollar blade equally as fast as a $10 blade. Run it cool (wax/lubricant) and don't force it and you can get a lot of mileage out of a single blade.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I saw a used 4x6 sell about a week ago. It was not in show room condition. Used 4x6 or 7x10 come up at least once a month (well not now its Christmas). expect to pay around 500 for used 7x10. Lots of them for sale used - very popular. During season I see them twice a month or so used for sale.

architect

Super User
I saw a used 4x6 sell about a week ago. It was not in show room condition. Used 4x6 or 7x10 come up at least once a month (well not now its Christmas). expect to pay around 500 for used 7x10. Lots of them for sale used - very popular. During season I see them twice a month or so used for sale.
Not the case in Ontario unfortunately :(

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My (circa late 90's) House of Tools, Taiwan, 7x11-ish has a decent steel table maybe 3mm thick. Making a better table is the easy part. The inherent issue is the table is bolted to a teeny footprint block of steel which doubles as the lower bearing block. Its bolted to something else & the whole affair is kind of loosey-goosey alignment to the blade until tightened. The block can't really be redesigned to be much larger or it wont clear features on the vise & casting base in swing down chop mode. I just live with it.

Attachments

• IMG_5689_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5689_edited-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 12

architect

Super User
Thanks everyone. KBC has $100 off so I can get a new King for $420 fee shipping which seems like the best value right now. Been waiting two see if any holiday sales come up.

Last edited:

architect

Super User
Okay, so after giving further thought and wanting repeatability on mitered cut I'm now considering the King 129DS with a swivel head and hydraulic downfeed. However, it lacks the vertical cutting that many seem to like. What is everyone doing with their vertical setup? This King model looks simialar to the popular American Baileigh BS-128M that comes with a table adapter. I hoping it can be adapted or even make my own for the King and it's just not advertised as such. The Busy Bee CSA CX116 is exactly like the Baileigh except for the base but again, no mention of vertical option and no table include. I'm leaning towards the King as KBC is giving $100 off right now.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Weird, the Busy Bee has the same what looks like lower bearing block / table adapter bolt pattern. One page in manual even talks about upright mode. But I don't see the actual table in parts diagram. Maybe its there I'm not good at Where is Waldo sometimes. Not advocating the BB but usually these machines are quite similar, if not the same.

Attachments

• 2020-12-23_9-21-27.jpg
    2020-12-23_9-21-27.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 10
  • 2020-12-23_9-22-44.jpg
    2020-12-23_9-22-44.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2020-12-23_9-23-30.jpg
    2020-12-23_9-23-30.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 9
  • SNAG-12-23-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-12-23-2020 0000.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 8

architect

Super User
Yeah it seems like all of them should then in theory support the vertical cutting. It seems like King and Busy Bee decided to simply exclude mentioning this and not offer the simple table adapter. Perhaps they want to avoid cannibalizing their other models by offer this feature. This make both King and Busy Bee models more attractive for me with very limited space.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Mine came with one , I threw it I the scrap pile and scavenged one from an atlas wood bandsaw

c642a834b540c4b185eb10c4ddbee289.jpg

8cf873793ad3fd204b91462b9a011d9e.jpg

03b5b347190bb6458da56575ecc08072.jpg

c1aaf815a52c73d5ffda1a63015d2df0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

architect

Super User
Weird, the Busy Bee has the same what looks like lower bearing block / table adapter bolt pattern. One page in manual even talks about upright mode. But I don't see the actual table in parts diagram. Maybe its there I'm not good at Where is Waldo sometimes. Not advocating the BB but usually these machines are quite similar, if not the same.
The manual is sorely lacking on the King but I don't see a reason it also won't be able to lock upright in vertical considering it looks almost identical to all the other Chinese swing heads. King lacks images but the other key is having two threaded holes at the block to to bolt a table onto.

architect

Super User

The King service manual shows identical lower bearing block with the threads.

1608761756270.png

Baileigh model:

1608761948773.png
1608761958376.png