• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

4x6 Horizontal Bandsaws

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Thanks John. I saw that post, but did not think to use it for that application, going to have to make this.

architect

Super User
So bringing this thread back to bandsaws :)

I finally decided and pulled the trigger on the King 129DS swivel head. The decision was based on: small footprint; tiny packed garage and not able to swing my material around; repeatability of different miter cuts by not having to remeasure and adjust the vise each time; hydraulic arm for a bit more "automatic" cutting.

To my surprise, the unit came with the cheap metal vertical tables that comes with all vertical/horizontal bandsaws and I was hoping this would a feature even though it wasn't advertised. But I also realize the unit won't swing up to full vertical position. I suspect the hydraulic arm is too short on this model because the Baleigh 128M which allows vertical has a much longer arm.

Any idea how I can hack the King? I thought about removing the hydraulic arm for when I want to bring it vertical; it also probably needs to removed to clear the on/off buttons which double as auto shut off. However, there's no way of locking it up into the position either. I thinking about building a bracket as there is a pin and hole system that I assume helps you lock it at 45 degrees.

Edit: I looked back at my previous post and research and it looks like that is how Busy Bee's model is applying their "vertical" feature. The difference is their rear bracket includes a hole to pin lock into vertical position which was what I was thinking as well by adding a bracket!

1611766684818.png

1611765509436.png

IMG-20210127-112057.jpg

IMG-20210127-112255.jpg

Last edited:

architect

Super User
Posting this for anyone else that may be researching band saws. The King 129DS sits pretty sturdy in vertical position by just disconnecting the bolt on the hydraulic arm (this thing is 180lbs). I dont even think I need to worry about making a bracket and pin as the cutting action will be pushing away from it's closing action. I can't believe King nor KBC bother advertising that it is a vertical saw when it comes with the vertical table!

(No idea why my images get rotated when uploaded)

IMG_20210128_205231.jpg

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’d pin it regardless. If you snag the blade during a vertical cut and if it is pinned the blade will either stall or chip. If u don’t have it pinned I’ve had the saw lurch and buck (energy followed path of least resistance) and this was worse.

Rigidity is everything IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I think the Kings run about $500 now. Personally I like their tools because they have a huge warehouse in Quebec you can get parts from. Not sure if KMS sells their stand, but they are here: https://www.kingcanada.com/en/products/accessories/roller-stands-omni-directional-stands/

Update, they do: https://www.kmstools.com/search/results?inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=&keyword=roller+stands
There’s a place in Ottawa advertising a King 5x6 for $550, so not out of line. They showed the extension table but not just a stand. I’ll look more tomorrow during business hours, there’s a local place I got parts for my King belt sander from before