• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

4 way tool holder

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
some of those are for the start winding and some for the main winding, and if its a dual voltage motor it may have wires relating to that

finding out which is which can be done with a multimeter, there are you tube videos that can help

reversing it is just a matter of figuring out which wires are your start winding and reversing them

Millwright1009

some of those are for the start winding and some for the main winding, and if its a dual voltage motor it may have wires relating to that

finding out which is which can be done with a multimeter, there are you tube videos that can help

reversing it is just a matter of figuring out which wires are your start winding and reversing them
Yes, the electrician told me it can be figured out, but wouldn’t worth his time. I’m going to do it eventually. Another project lol. But like he said if I get it wrong it may ruin the motor. So I have to be prepared to have to buy another new motor.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Yes, the electrician told me it can be figured out, but wouldn’t worth his time. I’m going to do it eventually. Another project lol. But like he said if I get it wrong it may ruin the motor. So I have to be prepared to have to buy another new motor.

if you ruin the motor its the perfect opportunity to buy a cheap used 3phase motor and a vfd.....3hp 3 phase motors pop up on marketplace (around here at least) pretty often for around 100$....sometimes you can even find a brand new one on there for in that range

Millwright1009

if you ruin the motor its the perfect opportunity to buy a cheap used 3phase motor and a vfd.....3hp 3 phase motors pop up on marketplace (around here at least) pretty often for around 100$....sometimes you can even find a brand new one on there for in that range
I’ve been honestly checking from time to time. Here in NL people want a fortune for everything. It’s honestly brutal. For example, I looked at a 1990s model of a 12” king lathe, the thing was butchered. Carriage feed didn’t work, but he was using the lead screw, saying there’s nothing wrong with it. Like a rust bucket. He was firm on his $1500 price. It sold the next day. I couldn’t believe it.
I seen a few 3phase motors already, but nothing less then 5-600 bucks. They looked really old as well. I priced a vfd, I think it was around 300 bucks. But can’t remember now exactly. But yes I agree that would be the best way to go

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I’ve been honestly checking from time to time. Here in NL people want a fortune for everything. It’s honestly brutal. For example, I looked at a 1990s model of a 12” king lathe, the thing was butchered. Carriage feed didn’t work, but he was using the lead screw, saying there’s nothing wrong with it. Like a rust bucket. He was firm on his $1500 price. It sold the next day. I couldn’t believe it.
I seen a few 3phase motors already, but nothing less then 5-600 bucks. They looked really old as well. I priced a vfd, I think it was around 300 bucks. But can’t remember now exactly. But yes I agree that would be the best way to go

honestly that lathe as you describe would probably sell for that same amount or even more here in alberta....withen hours no doubt

motors are cheap tho, seem to be a lot of take off 3 phase 3-5hp motors for sale, probably a common size for pumps or something, its to bad guys want so much for old used one out there, that almost sounds like a new price

Millwright1009

honestly that lathe as you describe would probably sell for that same amount or even more here in alberta....withen hours no doubt

motors are cheap tho, seem to be a lot of take off 3 phase 3-5hp motors for sale, probably a common size for pumps or something, its to bad guys want so much for old used one out there, that almost sounds like a new price
Didn’t think that, from what prices I’ve seen in Ontario auctions for decent lathes are going for 1500-2000 with the works, all attachments, and good shape. Few 13” south bends around here with minimum attachments we’re going for 2500 last year.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Didn’t think that, from what prices I’ve seen in Ontario auctions for decent lathes are going for 1500-2000 with the works, all attachments, and good shape. Few 13” south bends around here with minimum attachments we’re going for 2500 last year.

yea, all of us here in alberta are also jealous of the Ontario prices, if its 1500-2k in ontario its 3-5k here in alberta, i guesse thats the advantage of ontario being such a large market (compared to the west or east) and old (compared to the west)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think you should be able to figure the motor out without frying it.

A 13 inch lathe is a big lathe. Even 12 is big. It's hard for me to picture a 13 inch lathe in good shape with all the main accessories selling for under 4k even here in Ontario. When you see a lathe that size selling for 1500 to 2k here, I'd bet it's worn out. If not, it's definitely a YOU SUCK Find! Ya, you suck finds happen but they are very rare.

A new 12x36 is just over 6k now, a used in decent condition should be somewhere between 2.5k to about 4.5k depend on how good it looks. Consider that the same lathe in prior to 2020 was under 4k (closer to 3.5k )new, how do I know I considered it at that time and kick myself because I paid just under 6k earlier this year.

That said for my first lathe many years ago I made a 4 way tool holder using only the lathe and a drill press. This holder is still in use today by the guy that bought the lathe earlier the year. All the work was done with the 4 jaw chuck.

Six O Two

(Marco)
If it were me, I'd go 4 holes per side(ie: 12 holes total). That way, if you've got 4 tools on it there's 3 screws holding each tool. Think about the length of tool/HSS blank you'll be holding, with stick out, and try to maximize the number of screws holding the tool in the tool holder.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I couldn't find a decent 2HP 3phase motor that would mount in place and then with the cost of a VFD it ultimately made more sense to buy a 1.8kW AC Servo from Bergerda. Initially I ran it with 0-10V but now I have it running with step/dir. Model # 110SM-M0630MAL. It was cheaper than a new 3phase + VFD and I had to make a new mount anyway.

The Bergerda sales rep, Donald Chen was really helpful.

Attachments

• SpindleMotorPulley-5.jpg
    SpindleMotorPulley-5.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 10

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
@jcdammeyer something like this ? I was looking to go 3 phase on my mill, lots of used 3hp motors for the 100-150$ range, no 2hp, 3hp needing the more expensive VFD, maybe it's close to go servo drive?

How do you like the servo drive ?

Screenshot_20220922-091439704.png

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
@jcdammeyer something like this ? I was looking to go 3 phase on my mill, lots of used 3hp motors for the 100-150$ range, no 2hp, 3hp needing the more expensive VFD, maybe it's close to go servo drive?

How do you like the servo drive ?
I love my Bergerda and I deal directly with the factory. I know that although they look the same on the outside there is no guarantee that they are the same on the inside. For example, Donald Chen told me that his motors are more expensive than some that are on AliExpress because his use Japanese Encoders which are more expensive. So I took the back off one of my servos and looked up the part. Sure enough, Japanese brand but Assembled in China.

I had some vibration issues and needed to tweak one of the parameters but wasn't sure which. He replied promptly after consulting his engineers with some changes. Worked fine after that.

Another time I asked for some specific parameter changes. Don't remember exactly what. Shortly after a cell phone generated video showed up in my mail with the engineer showing which parameters needed to be changed.

I've never had that level of support of anything from Amazon or Aliexpress. I gave away my one Leadshine stepper motor driver (terrible whine) for a song and replaced it with one from Bergerda. Although they looked similar, inside dramatically different and the Bergerda did not whine.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I love my Bergerda and I deal directly with the factory. I know that although they look the same on the outside there is no guarantee that they are the same on the inside. For example, Donald Chen told me that his motors are more expensive than some that are on AliExpress because his use Japanese Encoders which are more expensive. So I took the back off one of my servos and looked up the part. Sure enough, Japanese brand but Assembled in China.

I had some vibration issues and needed to tweak one of the parameters but wasn't sure which. He replied promptly after consulting his engineers with some changes. Worked fine after that.

Another time I asked for some specific parameter changes. Don't remember exactly what. Shortly after a cell phone generated video showed up in my mail with the engineer showing which parameters needed to be changed.

I've never had that level of support of anything from Amazon or Aliexpress. I gave away my one Leadshine stepper motor driver (terrible whine) for a song and replaced it with one from Bergerda. Although they looked similar, inside dramatically different and the Bergerda did not whine.

I'm not sold on an Ali stepper, it was just a quick search to get an idea of the price range...I agree definitely not going to get the kind of support you have gotten from bergerda....I had never even thought of the possibility of running a servo drive, but you got me thinking about the possibility, not sure if I will even go that way...something worth exploring

What kinda bucks was the bergerda servo ?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
What kinda bucks was the bergerda servo ?
I think it was in the same range as the Aliexpress discounted one. Certainly not $500 which is why I went that way and it was much cheaper than 3 phase + VFD. I included another motor and drive with that order. Shipping is the killer here. They like to use FedEx. But for example to keep the import duty costs lower, they marked the shipping invoice at under $500 although I think both motors and drives were closer to $800.

What's cool about the step/dir control of the spindle is I can turn it at 1 RPM if I want. Eventually I want a tool changer and the ability to move the spindle to a specific position. Might never happen of course but I can dream.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
You are getting *super* support from Bergerda - they seem to be a great vendor.
Just before COVID, Donald Chen told me if I was on a holiday in the neighborhood he'd give me a factory tour. I think at that time he was also hoping I'd become a vender or distributor for North America. Sadly I've learned the hard way that if one wants to sell into the USA one has to have a US operation. The US has huge protectionism in place to prevent small Canadian companies from shipping cheaply into the US.

I'm not sure Bergerda makes the actual motors. But they do install their own encoders and connectors on them. You can even specify how long a cable set you need.