• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

4 way tool holder

Millwright1009

You can buy 14 pitch gears online, but surprisingly made-to-order gears seem to be cheaper somehow. About 8 years ago we went down this road with a friend, and got his gears reasonably. I'm sure there are more options now.

on the parting I didn't see what your spindle speed was, forgive me if I skipped over it somehow. one half of the equation is making everything more rigid. the other half is reduce pressure by lowering RPM and using the sharpest possible cutter.

One trick that made parting FAR easier was to move the blade slightly below the centre line. On my 12" lathe for 1" cutoffs, was .002 - .003 below centre.
As for the gearing. I priced a gear the other day and the site wanted 600 bucks for 63 tooth gear I should’ve tried another site I guess

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Parting in reverse with an upside blade will work on any small lathe as long as it is NOT a screw on chuck. Unfortunately, since you have a lantern style tool post, I'd guess it has a screw on Chuck. :(

Millwright1009

Parting in reverse with an upside blade will work on any small lathe as long as it is NOT a screw on chuck. Unfortunately, since you have a lantern style tool post, I'd guess it has a screw on Chuck. :(
Yes I’ve read that sometimes that works better but I can’t just yet. The lathe has a L00, taper nose with key, reverse thread lock. The original 3 ph motor had reverse. This one doesn’t. I have a reverse switch bought but the badge is missing so I’m not sure what each wire is for.

I can’t see a reason why I wouldn’t be able to go in reverse. Put a locking tab on the nut if I was worried I guess

Millwright1009

Just looked it up, Original came with two speed motor with reverse.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
L00 chuck isn't comming off in reverse, no worries there

Two speed motor? How does that work? Is it like a 2 pole and a 4 pole motor in the same motor, and you just connect different windings ?

Millwright1009

Two speed motor? How does that work? Is it like a 2 pole and a 4 pole motor in the same motor, and you just connect different windings ?
I’m not sure but there’s most of the original equipment is missing. Including the coolant pump. It was all 575 3 phase. From google I’ve seen it had a panel with two buttons. Mind you this is from what I can tell 1966 lol.

Millwright1009

I’m not sure but there’s most of the original equipment is missing. Including the coolant pump. It was all 575 3 phase. From google I’ve seen it had a panel with two buttons. Mind you this is from what I can tell 1966 lol.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a reverse switch bought but the badge is missing so I’m not sure what each wire is for.

For almost all 3phase motors, reverse is obtained by swapping any two of the three phase wires. Its easy peasy. Lots of switches out there to do it. Just make sure to get one rated for your full motor current and the line voltage. I like to at least double that. It's not required but it gets you a better switch. Take a few photos of the switch and we will help you out.

Millwright1009

For almost all 3phase motors, reverse is obtained by swapping any two of the three phase wires. Its easy peasy. Lots of switches out there to do it. Just make sure to get one rated for your full motor current and the line voltage. I like to at least double that. It's not required but it gets you a better switch.
Yes I am aware, but there is now a single phase motor. I’m assuming it is anyways. It starts and runs fine on 220 anyways lol. Like I said, the badge on the motor is missing. I’m not sure the rpm or horsepower.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes I am aware, but there is now a single phase motor. I’m assuming it is anyways. It starts and runs fine on 220 anyways lol. Like I said, the badge on the motor is missing. I’m not sure the rpm or horsepower.

I see. Well that's a problem then....... I hate that figure the motor wiring out crap.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Look on the back of the motor wiring junction box cover. Some times the wiring info is there rather than the motor badge.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Look for a little plate that unscrews from the motor body, usually the wiring diagram is on the inside of that plate...if it's not on the main info badge

Millwright1009

Look on the back of the motor wiring junction box cover. Some times the wiring info is there rather than the motor badge.
The cover is missing as well haha, no I’m not making this up. lol, I’ve looked the motor over. There’s 0 information on it.

Millwright1009

Here you go. Yes I’ve thought about and probably could have a pretty good guess on how to do it, but I have to be prepared to burn out the motor and have to buy a new one if that happened

Attachments

• B71F1DE7-9DAB-4F77-B56C-574DBBFF5592.jpeg
    B71F1DE7-9DAB-4F77-B56C-574DBBFF5592.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 16
  • C2DC5AE9-1101-4385-84EF-5D69C25167CE.jpeg
    C2DC5AE9-1101-4385-84EF-5D69C25167CE.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 1F7D2175-50C4-4B49-AEB7-2876A9FF9CA5.jpeg
    1F7D2175-50C4-4B49-AEB7-2876A9FF9CA5.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 16

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Here you go. Yes I’ve thought about and probably could have a pretty good guess on how to do it, but I have to be prepared to burn out the motor and have to buy a new one if that happened

I'm seeing 4 wires coming out of the motor with two joined together. Is that correct? Are they color coded at all?