• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

4 'tang' wrench

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anyone know the name of (metric) wrench style corresponding to these nuts? The nut OD ~35mm. The slot is ~4mm width x 1.5mm depth

1694411527323.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have seen/heard them called coilover, hook, collet, and slot wrench/spanner. I personally call them hook spanners.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've got a shop made version figured out. Just want to know if a wrench was a cheapo item, if it fit all 4 slots vs a single hook or whatever. I've also seen people go tappety-tap with a blunt instrument, likely including the manufacturer of this :/
1694477474140.png

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's cool, but you're going to need a regular hook spanner wrench to hold onto the retaining nut behind the first one. And Amazon has those wrenches pretty cheap.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now that's a wrench! I thought about radial pins or dog point screws (like your bolts) but these nuts look dodgy tuna can metal. A round pin only makes tangent contact to the side of the notch & these notcches are so shallow ~1.5mm. I feel a slip & chowdered metal experience coming on LOL. My hub wrench looks more complicated than it is, basically turn on lathe & mill the middle stuff away. I'm sure there is a laser cut 4-tang wrench in a far away land for $10 & 2 months shipping, but I may get after this a bit sooner. We'll see.