4 'tang' wrench

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anyone know the name of (metric) wrench style corresponding to these nuts? The nut OD ~35mm. The slot is ~4mm width x 1.5mm depth

1694411527323.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have seen/heard them called coilover, hook, collet, and slot wrench/spanner. I personally call them hook spanners.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've got a shop made version figured out. Just want to know if a wrench was a cheapo item, if it fit all 4 slots vs a single hook or whatever. I've also seen people go tappety-tap with a blunt instrument, likely including the manufacturer of this :/
1694477474140.png

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's cool, but you're going to need a regular hook spanner wrench to hold onto the retaining nut behind the first one. And Amazon has those wrenches pretty cheap.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now that's a wrench! I thought about radial pins or dog point screws (like your bolts) but these nuts look dodgy tuna can metal. A round pin only makes tangent contact to the side of the notch & these notcches are so shallow ~1.5mm. I feel a slip & chowdered metal experience coming on LOL. My hub wrench looks more complicated than it is, basically turn on lathe & mill the middle stuff away. I'm sure there is a laser cut 4-tang wrench in a far away land for $10 & 2 months shipping, but I may get after this a bit sooner. We'll see.