• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

3D printer at P.A.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was looking at a Dremel 3D printer in Princess Auto the other day, on sale for $999.99. It looked kind of small to print very large items, hey what do i know, very little about this stuff. Is this a useful tool for a shop or just good for making toys?

I think 3D printers can be an excellent workshop tool although I suspect you could get better bang for your buck somewhere else. I think this market/technology changes rapidly and its been a long time since I last researched a best purchase option. I think the Prusa printers have an excellent rep. Would be interested in what others have to say as well.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The Dremel gets top marks in reviews. But maybe that's just the most recent models. Not sure how PA buys them either - might be units with defects or some itchy problem that's been fixed for the regular market. Just thinking out loud!

Its not clear to me exactly which model of Dremel 3D printer PA is selling. It doesn't look like the 3D45 which gets high ratings and PA doesn't say anything about capability with plastics other than PLA which would be critical in my own book.

Like many rapidly changing technologies my impression is that the latest and greatest models will cost an arm and a leg. On the other hand the older models that are about to be discontinued are often offered at deep discounts. I'm guessing the Princess auto model is in the latter category. If the older model suits your needs its probably the better buy. I think Canadian Tire is offering the same model for 50% more!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
About 10 second search and I already managed to beat PA price by over $200 -

I am sure I can shave off another $200 buying on auction returned model - but that carries some risk.

Tom O

Ultra Member
It was for my first attempt at casting brass it’s made from ABS plastic and I tried using a microwave melting gel found at PMS Hobby that I set in plaster. It worked not bad although the sand/plaster mixture I used was quite brittle after the burnout. The gel worked not bad but was flexible enough to have some droop to it I could have put it in the fridge prior to setting in the plaster or used some wire to stiffen it internally.

Well i don't plan on buying one anytime soon, but it's interesting watching them work.

Thats funny because you've now got me seriously considering getting one! I wouldn't get the PA Dremel though. I want something that can do more than just PLA plastic. For me its a toss up right now between the Prusa i3 MK3S+ and the Biqu B1. I'm leaning towards the Biqu B1 right now mostly because of the much lower price. I've played with 3D printers before quite a bit at the local public library maker spaces but never owned my own. Always intended to get one and now with covid restricting access to maker spaces making the great leap is more tempting than ever.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Prusa’s are good I have one. I’ve printed many parts with it. They announced a bigger one too the XL. More money and not shipping till 2022 but it looks good too.

Crosche

Super User
I have a Creality Ender 3 Pro and it's been a great machine with lot's of opportunity for aftermarket upgrades. The price tag is much cheaper than the Dremel and the money saved would allow for some great upgrades...like a direct drive MicroSwiss hot end.

I have a Creality Ender 3 Pro and it's been a great machine with lot's of opportunity for aftermarket upgrades. The price tag is much cheaper than the Dremel and the money saved would allow for some great upgrades...like a direct drive MicroSwiss hot end.
Thats the one I almost got about a year ago! I always seem to be on the verge of making the plunge but then end up spending my money on something else. Too many competing wants!

I was using 123D which could tell you how long ago that was! It was a steep learning curve for sure but lots of online tutorials were a great help. The computer I have 123D on has now crashed and don't know if can retrieve it. At least it was free!

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have a 12 year old prusa clone. It was never terrific but was ok for what I wanted. My son has a new Pruse 3 Mk3 and I now have a bad case of printer envy so I’m in the process of making my own Pruse Mk3 (it is open source).

If I wasn’t going that route I’d seriously consider the Ender Pro or similar.