• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

3 Phase Motor Wiring

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
IPLATE.JPG

Picked up this 3 Phase motor today.

WIRES.JPG

Of course none of the wires are color coded. Just numbered....

WPLATE.JPG

I don't know how to interpret this wiring diagram???

WSKETCH.JPG

This is how the wires are setup currently. 4-5-6 are joined and capped. 1-7 are joined and capped. 3 is capped. 2-8-9 are available for hookup. I want to hook this up for 220V.

I found this descriptions for Y wiring on the web.

Make the connections for low voltage, 230-volt wiring. Connect motor leads 4, 5 and 6 together. Connect motor leads 7 and 1 with the black L1 conductor. Connect motor leads 8 and 2 with the red L2 conductor. Connect motor leads 9 and 3 with the blue L3 conductor.

Which makes some sense of the wiring info plate I guess.

Sound right to you?

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
just follow diagram for 240 - 4, 5 and 6 together in a cap

9-3 line 1
8-2 line 2
7-1 line 3

flip line 1 and say line 2 to change direction.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Ah the memories. Bought a 3ph motor at an auction, opened it up at home, found 9 grey wires, no markings, no numbers. This turned into a two-drink Saturday night special.

Learned a lot about how to determine if the motor is wired for delta or wye. Great web-sites/videos on how to do this are out there.

Delta wiring

WYE wiring