• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

3 Phase Motor Wiring

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
IPLATE.JPG

Picked up this 3 Phase motor today.

WIRES.JPG

Of course none of the wires are color coded. Just numbered....

WPLATE.JPG

I don't know how to interpret this wiring diagram???

WSKETCH.JPG

This is how the wires are setup currently. 4-5-6 are joined and capped. 1-7 are joined and capped. 3 is capped. 2-8-9 are available for hookup. I want to hook this up for 220V.

I found this descriptions for Y wiring on the web.

Make the connections for low voltage, 230-volt wiring. Connect motor leads 4, 5 and 6 together. Connect motor leads 7 and 1 with the black L1 conductor. Connect motor leads 8 and 2 with the red L2 conductor. Connect motor leads 9 and 3 with the blue L3 conductor.

Which makes some sense of the wiring info plate I guess.

Sound right to you?

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
just follow diagram for 240 - 4, 5 and 6 together in a cap

9-3 line 1
8-2 line 2
7-1 line 3

flip line 1 and say line 2 to change direction.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Ah the memories. Bought a 3ph motor at an auction, opened it up at home, found 9 grey wires, no markings, no numbers. This turned into a two-drink Saturday night special.

Learned a lot about how to determine if the motor is wired for delta or wye. Great web-sites/videos on how to do this are out there.

Delta wiring

WYE wiring