• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

3/16" Plate steel supplier in Calgary?

A friend welded a couple of workbenches up from 2.5" .125 wall square tubing for me, and I'm looking to source a couple of pieces of 3/16" plate for tops. Dimensions are roughly 30" x 76".

Any suggestions? I know I'll pay for cutting/shearing to size.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
They all do retail. I don’t know about shearing. I know Calgary metals has a shear because I bought some cutoffs from them. It was 20 gauge stuff though.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They use a generic table/list for all their products. I think the price is $284.20.

Perhaps a phone call to confirm?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
seeing as the requirement is 3/16, I thought post some market info we're experiencing as its not limited to just our area. I don't know if any of you guys are in a business that consumes steel, but prices have gone bezerk. Check out the St Louis Fed graph below. Covid has wreaked havoc on supply chains - where do you ever see a chart like that, the dot come mania, tulip bulbs?

3/16 is the worst affected and in short supply. Most of the major services centres, e.g. Russell, Samuel etc are no bidding 3/16 or if they have the odd scrap, ration you. Yes, we are being rationed right now....most services centres won't accept PO's for more than 10tons per order (not even a full truck load). Quotes are good for 24 hours (a year ago was 30 days). If someone does have 3/16 we're seeing quotes of 1.4- 1.6 a pound for 44W (basic prime sheet). This was sheet you'd buy as much as you wanted of for $0.40 - 0.45/ lb a year ago. At present, we have to be careful what work we quote based on steel availability.

Their price of $284 is $1.16/lb which has got to be an old price or its old stock and they just aren't paying attention. If it is the right price, put me down for 30 tons :).

If you call and get an updated price, please post...curious.

Good news is, most rational economic thought is that it will be back down by the end of the year

1624616574727.png

Last edited:
@Mcgyver Thanks for your informative post.

I know lumber futures /1000 bd ft have dropped significantly for Sept, I wonder if steel will follow suit...

Graph is $$$$'s per 1000 bd ft of standard SPF lumber.
1624661187432.png

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
good luck buying steel right now, if you can hold off i would if i were you, these prices are bound to go back to somewhat normal in the next year

3/16 is bad....you should try and buy steel Q-Decking right now, or joists for a building, it is completely out of control

@Mcgyver Thanks for your informative post.

I know lumber futures /1000 bd ft have dropped significantly for Sept, I wonder if steel will follow suit...

Graph is $$$$'s per 1000 bd ft of standard SPF lumber.

Just a followup on steel futures: steel futures contracts have not followed lumber's significant downward trend and remain quite high.

1626116129540.png

No respite in sight for steel buyers.