3/16"-24TPI VS 10-24 threads.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Working on sorting out my fasteners and I came across a weird item I never noticed before.

I have some bolts in a box sold as 3/16" bolts.
That was fine until I noticed I did not make a drawer for the same. That's odd as my drawers are a perfect match to my tap and die set.

Quick check confirmed that I do not have a 3/16" tap or die.

Quick testing shows that these bolts thread into 10-24 nuts just fine. Ok so that's odd too.

Review my tap and die drill chart and it doesn't even list 3/16.

I found another chart online and it has both listed together. It reads that 10-24 is .0025" larger in diameter, but basically identical otherwise.

Are these interchangeable with each other? Or in theory is it a disaster waiting to happen?

Thoughts?

JW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Just checked my mastercraft T/D set and its tap drill chart, same here, but I'm pretty sure they are the same, I believe I asked this once of my mentor and simple answer was; one and the same. Something to do with calling them machine screws and how; three sixteenths, twenty four, is longer than; ten twenty four. I just let it go at that but I would love more clarity if it's offered

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
3/16 = 0.1875". Unfortunately the box labeling is not really helpful is it?
A #10 shank machine screw has a range of nominal OD's depending on the pitch & thread class. I highlighted all the #10's just to show the range: from low of 0.1818" to high of 0.1900" which encompasses 0.1875". But that's just referring to shank OD. Tap drill size & tap type & % of resultant engaged thread is a different thing again. So I guess the answer is 'it depends'. :)

Attachments

• 2017-09-06_13-11-50.jpg
    2017-09-06_13-11-50.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 10