• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

2023 May 6 Meetup - Toronto thread

Are you coming to the May 6/2023 meet up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
So today was an excellent day for the GTA meet up, the weather was great. The people were great, interesting discussions were had, a few interesting things were seen.

Stupid me forgot to take some photos of a gun barrel that was pimped out by @thestelster so I guess ya'll need to visit him to see that some time

@CWret brought some interesting items, the two that stood out to me were his drawbar wrench and spindle lock. He's modified his mill for that it warns you if you try to run the mill with either of those items in place... I could really use such a thing since I lift the wrench on the mill a couple times recently and started up to mill.

IMG_20230506_150201486.jpg

He needs to have a post about this if he already doesn't have one.

The next item he had that I found cool was his prototype rod feeder for tig welding. It can easily be operated by a thumb while wearing gloves. I thought it was a huge improvement over the commercial variety that is fed by the index finger

IMG_20230506_145940386.jpg

IMG_20230506_145910513.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
And @CWret was so laid back he was going to allow up to dismantle this neat indexing head he'd brought for show and tell... but wiser heads prevailed and we put it back together before I managed to destroy it. :p

Our two wood working buddies Dave on the left, and Brian in the middle looked on intently. I'm not sure what @Maker Mike was thinking. Such a diverse group of people, Mile spent time in the US navy on nuclear submarines.... One day I need to hear more from him about that experience.

IMG_20230506_143428364.jpg

Left to right, my brother Tom, @Canadium, @CWret, and @thestelster. CW was showing some thick aluminum c channel he has that you can buy...

IMG_20230506_143414825.jpg

20230506_140227.jpg

20230506_140058.jpg

20230506_140000.jpg

IMG_20230506_140330836.jpg

Based on the pics from this and the Calgary meet up thread, I'm too young to be a member here lol
Probably too healthy to be a member too! LOL

Actually Mike is still a pretty young guy and we could use more young guys to balance that out.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Looks like a good time, sorry I missed it. Just noticed the thread now lol (too many forums, don't look at them all) but alas couldn't have made it yesterday.

Good on you John for hosting!!

Maker Mike

Premium Member
Funny, most days I don't feel like a young guy. Guess it's all relative. Thanks John and Tom for hosting, not to forget Debra and Linda. Hope I got the name right. I think one thing that we all probably have in common is a curiosity about how things work. I'm sure most of us took things apart when we were kids just to see how they worked.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Funny, most days I don't feel like a young guy. Guess it's all relative.

The main topic of conversation at most of the meetups I go to anymore are not about how it works. They are about why it still works.

Why is your heart still beating with all those bi-passes? Wow, why did you bother trying to get across the room on a knee like that? Why do you still use dangerous machines with only one eye? Why did you take the 401 and brave that traffic instead of going through all the suburbs where everyone else is going your speed too?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Funny, most days I don't feel like a young guy. Guess it's all relative. Thanks John and Tom for hosting, not to forget Debra and Linda. Hope I got the name right. I think one thing that we all probably have in common is a curiosity about how things work. I'm sure most of us took things apart when we were kids just to see how they worked.
That’s because back then you knew whatever it is it probably would not be replaced so I’d better take a look at it mentality was commonplace but now things are deemed disposable.