• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

2023 May 6 Meetup - Toronto thread

Are you coming to the May 6/2023 meet up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Members bring your projects, things to swap & sell, snacks to share, a drink (not that kind), and maybe a chair.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Okay, so I'm always down for a tool swap and love to see projects.

I'd like to be able to have the surface grinder up and running so if anyone were to need to have any parts ground they could bring em... or something else cool.

We'll likely have a submarine sandwich spread...

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
There are only 11 days left until the scheduled member's get together date and so far no one has signed up to attend in the GTA other than the hosts and our friend from Milton.

I hope this changes by this Saturday, or I may propose that the GTA event be scrubbed.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There are only 11 days left until the scheduled member's get together date and so far no one has signed up to attend in the GTA other than the hosts and our friend from Milton.

I hope this changes by this Saturday, or I may propose that the GTA event be scrubbed.
Hey, I signed up too. Still, pretty low number. But I understand there might be t-bone steaks, pork ribs, and open bar!!! All served by the Toronto Argo Cheerleaders!!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I clicked "Yes' in the poll--was I supposed to do more? Anyway, now I'm not sure if I can make it. My daughter is moving and apparently I'm still required as a pack animal!

Craig
ah Craig, I didn't see the results display individuals.

there is an age exemption on pack animal duties, age 40 for friends, age 55 for relatives.

also given pandemic deferments of social events IMO such events should take precedence... But I get family commitments.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
GTA Meet-up update

I can confirm that we are proceeding with the planned meet up for Saturday May 6th, starting at 11:00 am. The later start time is to accommodate those who will be driving a distance to attend which seems to be everyone.

There will be refreshments available upon arrival, and a lunch will be served about mid-afternoon.

I'll be posting the exact address later this week, so that the location of our shop is not online for an extended period of time. However the general location is in Pickering, ON near Whites Rd (38) and Taunton Rd (4). The location is very close to the 407 and only about 10 minutes north of the 401 so coming in via the 401 to avoid tolls does not add much to travel times.

1682698075847.png

We plan to spend most of the time either in the garage shop with the doors open, or in the back yard grilling food and chilling so risks due to covid will be minimal. However, if the weather sucks then we will bring things indoors and there will be a slightly elevated risk for attendees. As such we request potential attendees adhere to the following protocols:

Please do not attend if you are actively sick with cold-like symptoms. We plan to host another event before summer's end you can attend instead.

If you recently tested positive for covid, please ensure that 10 days have elapsed since the onset of covid symptoms if you plan to attend.

Attendees are encouraged to wear a mask, OR not, if they so desire. You do you, whatever makes you comfortable.

I have a compromised immune system and my wife just had a cardiac event this past Saturday so I intend to wear a mask when I am indoors with others. My choice is not a reflection anyone else, but rather just extra protection for my wife and I since if either of us get covid the outcome will be far worse than for the average person.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
While I will not be attending any of the various meetups, I'll just leave this here.
This will be supper in about 6 hours. And probably lunch tomorrow as well.
Have fun everybody.

Attachments

• PXL_20230428_174430495.jpg
    PXL_20230428_174430495.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 9
I would come but rather than put you or your wife at risk as I do travel regularly for business (and will be traveling mid week), I'll pass.

The mild inconvenience of missing the meet up, is not the worth of risk of a potential health issue even with all precautions.

Cheers,

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have ordered and am expecting the arrival this week of an Aikron A30 LCD DRO for my lathe. If I get it before the meet, I will bring it so we can plug it in and check it out.

As I recall, you got some plain tape too! I think that would open a lot of eyes! Even if not, I think @TorontoBuilder has some! You guys could even have fun with the precision settings!

And maybe compare Yuri's system directly.

I wish I could go......