20 ton jewelry press

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey guys, I have that app and paid for the metric. Works great - use it for getting the cut depth when making threads etc.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Anybody have a or access to a bolt testing machine? Maybe we could test historic alarms bolts?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Anybody have a or access to a bolt testing machine? Maybe we could test historic alarms bolts?

Actually.... I believe he goes by "historical arms":oops:

The UofC Mech Eng Dep would break the bolts for you, if you asked nicely.

I'm betting that there are a lot of substandard bolts out there with fraudulent markings.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That’s me making stuff up! Historic alarms oh man sorry... I’ve been reading it that way since you joined.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That’s me making stuff up! Historic alarms oh man sorry... I’ve been reading it that way since you joined.

Don't feel bad.... That's how I read it to:oops:

eotrfish straightened me out about that. I guess they had a good chat about Gatling guns at the last meet up.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
LOL...I guess an appropriate space or hyphen would sure have been appropriate there wouldn't it... but never thought of it at the time as some forums won't allow anything but lettering in titles or usernames...and no worries on the entirely plausible reading of the name...in my professional career I was a heavy construction supervisor so am quite used to being referred to in substantially less flattering terms than Historical Alarms.

now back to the bolt thingy...I'm not concerned about the bolt strength as I would have bought a softer one if I could have, I just needed a fine tread bolt with perfect threads. I was just surprised that the file cut into a bolt that I thought it would just skate over.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
Your press looks great.

We used to cut B7 studs for gas plants etc (60s and 70s) and they were considered the best threaded fasteners they could use. Interestingly, B7 threaded rod stayed with 8TPI on diameters over 1" up to 7" dia. We made equivalents from 4140 steel.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Surprisingly to me I didn't wear any colour at all this Christmas. Anyhoo we're getting off topic for the thread.

Suffice it to say, it can be fun, and when the mood hits, I indulge.

I wonder if it's possible to make nice jewelry on this press? My mother loves different necklaces and earrings, and I thought that handmade jewelry would be a great Christmas present idea. My husband and I could do it together, and make something for his mother as well. Probably we could rent a piece of equipment or borrow it from someone. But what kind of machinery is suitable for this type of work? Do we need this 20-ton press or some other equipment? I was thinking of designing a pendant and buy a chain for it separately. I am considering making a butterfly heart-shaped pendant without any complicated traceries.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I wonder if it's possible to make nice jewelry on this press? My mother loves different necklaces and earrings, and I thought that handmade jewelry would be a great Christmas present idea. My husband and I could do it together, and make something for his mother as well. Probably we could rent a piece of equipment or borrow it from someone. But what kind of machinery is suitable for this type of work? Do we need this 20-ton press or some other equipment? I was thinking of designing a pendant and buy a chain for it separately. I am considering making a butterfly heart-shaped pendant without any complicated traceries.
Welcome from Calgary @DianaPowell. Perhaps @Chris Cramer can answer this question for you; he does this kind of work I believe.