• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

20 ton jewelry press

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@DianaPowell we don't get too many members signing up from Kansas and posting at 3AM. Welcome to the forum. You can make jewelry on a press like this but this isn't just a casual craft. There is a book referenced in my very first post on jewelry presses - I would start with that book. There are quite a few different approaches to making jewelry. A you tuber called Nancy Hamilton has a good channel on making jewelry too. Classes at your local technical college would go a long way to making a good start.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
20 tons is a good mass for use of jewelry. You could make great pendants with the use of a press by pressing shapes like hearts, butterflies, stars, etc. into a silver sheet before cutting it out. I don't have a press, so I usually use a dapping block to manualy shape the inside of an object after it is cut out. Another thing you can use a press for is to press a design etched into a piece of paper into your metal instead of hand engraving it.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
a good ring doesn't need a press, a ring mandrel can work just fine to shape a straight ring shank with some square wire, or half round wire. presses are mostly used for pendants, bracelets, or other larger pieces of jewelry. Even in that case with enough practice, use of different sized dapping blocks can deliver just as good results as a press. It definitely takes more time and effort, but it can be done. All those prong settings, bezel settings, and chanel settings on those rings can be done with basic jewelry equipment, like soldering equipment, stone setting burrs, beading tools, and plenty of practice.

Last edited: