• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

20" Disc Sander/Grinder Wanted

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I am looking for something similar to a Baleigh DG-500 or Kalamazoo DS-20 disc sander/grinder. Preferably 220V single phase. I would actually prefer a 12" model, as the 20" is a tad overkill for me, but 12" is harder to find. JET makes something about the right size, but doesn't import to Canada.

I know some of you guys frequent industrial tool auctions, has anyone ever seen a Baleigh or Kalamazoo 20"?

I used to use a Crappy Tire 12" but I burnt out the motor and killed the bearings. KMS and Busy Bee both sell similar 12" models, but they are really intended for wood. King Canada says theirs will work with metal, but is not intended for it long term.

I like the Baileigh and Kalamazoo, but with import duties etc., they are pricey. I am awaiting a quote from Modern Tool just in case, but thought I'd ask if anyone here has seen one at auction. I've been watching Kijijii etc., for a while too. I'll also try Empire Tool in Winnipeg and Ecco in BC.

What are the best tool auctions around Calgary to watch??

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
KBC sells one similar to what you are looking at, but holy schnikeys, the price. When I see what guys are building in terms of those cool belt sanders with VFD drive, multi-adjustable profiling accessories, knock-down tables, belt tension & tracking adjustment... for under 1K$ in bolt-together kits... makes me wonder if building a disc sander one would be worth the effort? The good ones are heavy CI frame components for sure. But in the end seems like a pillar frame with direct drive motor spinning a disc :)

You used to see the big ones like that in woodworking shops all the time back when tools were good tools. I wonder if those can be used for metal or if its an rpm thing (maybe fixed with VFD retrofit?)

Attachments

• 3-28-2017 0000.jpg
    3-28-2017 0000.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 6

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks. I am looking into the build option as well. You're right...the price is nasty for the commercial brands.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Im intrigued by the idea of building one. Wow the big disc will need to be well ballanced though.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Some of the woodworking sander discs are aluminum but I haven't seen big ones like this up close. Maybe the metalworking versions are made of CI for toughness, heat or who knows desired inertia/flywheel effect? But yes, the bigger the diameter & higher the rpm, the more you have to pay attention to balance. Having said that, 20" might dictate how fast it can spin. I'd have to check what typical SFM speeds the knife belt sander guys are turning but it didn't strike me as insane. If you have ever seen those Harbor Fright bench grinder review <cough rebuild> posts, its shocking the things they find - out of round shafts, misaligned bearings, inappropriate bearings, incorrectly sized arbors that don't fit wheel hole fittings... Surprised you don't hear about exploding grinding wheels more often.

Maybe you can buy the BusyBee 20" disc as a spare part & build the rest of sander around it? A technique I see on homebrew cnc routers is a relatively lightweight box tubing frame which guys can bolt or weld together with typical garage equipment. Then they fill the frame/components with epoxy sand mixture & it bonds & cures into something very solid & vibration dampening resultant frame.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
You may be right. Something I suspect will also have to be dealt with is proper thrust bearings. The big guys use tampered end bearings. Woodworking machines don't need them as you aren't pushing as hard, so this is a consideration as well.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Unless you are getting a 2HP model, you won't be able to push too hard, esp near the edge. Thus thrust bearings aren't too important in the medium term.