• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

1951 Monarch 10EE at Auction

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
From the listing:
"*Note: Stand Not Included,"
Really???

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Yeah I placed some bets on this one already. How much do you guys think it is worth?

I looked at the bidder history, looks like modern tool might be bidding on it also

In terms of worth i would be jealous if it went for anything under 3000

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : stand is the platform they have it on in the other pictures - looks like a wood top with steel channel supports - I thought the same too at first - LOL

@Tom Kitta : it is a coveted type lathe for some - built like a beast - I would say it should get $3500 if it is all functional (also being a bid from my Ontario neck of the woods) - haha

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So $3500 plus fees or including fees? With 3500 bid the fees are 20% so 700 extra bringing total to 4200. Similar machine in the US is around 5500 USD on ebay plus shipping with like 40 watchers - i.e. no one went for it and is waiting for it to drop in price. 5500 usd is 7000 cad - clearly too much for this machine.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
If it isn't in running condition, then about 5K will be the end bid. If the motor control works, it is worth about 6K$

-- i've seen non-working 10EEs got fro 15K in the U.S. they really like them there

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Dabbler how much is one that is fully restored in showroom condition? Just wondering. They still make these new, for 100,000 USD or so.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I haven't seen one restored to perfect. One fully restored, but quire early [edit] version went for 30K a few years ago. I think the market has slumped since then. 20K for a fully working one in the US would be about right.

I am looking at a perfect 1975 one that i think I might get for 7K.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
I haven't seen one restored to perfect. One fully restored, but quire early [edit] version went for 30K a few years ago. I think the market has slumped since then. 20K for a fully working one in the US would be about right.

I am looking at a perfect 1975 one that i think I might get for 7K.

Dabbler if you do please share pics!

Hacker

Super User
I talked to the owner and he has never used it. He bought it and had an electrician hook it up and they were testing is when it started to let the magic smoke out. They shut it down and pulled the motor/generator out and sent it to a motor shop where it sat for the last couple of years. They did nothing with the unit, he brought it back when he put this up for sale. He has another one that is a little older so decided to sell this one.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I talked to the owner and he has never used it. He bought it and had an electrician hook it up and they were testing is when it started to let the magic smoke out. They shut it down and pulled the motor/generator out and sent it to a motor shop where it sat for the last couple of years. They did nothing with the unit, he brought it back when he put this up for sale. He has another one that is a little older so decided to sell this one.

Excellent info! Thank you! So basically motor generator is probably toast. So it would need rather complicated re-work. I was wondering why on pictures they show the whole power unit out of the lathe! This was very strange indeed.

Note these lathes are marvels of technology - they had a Variable speed drive in them that used through the years all sorts of different technology - this one has motor to DC generator that drives a DC motor. Then with vacuum tubes it controls the DC motor AFAIK. Other machines have different strange technology. I guess one could replace the whole motor generator with electronic conversion to DC and electronic DC speed driver - this did not exist in 1951.

There is huge discussion of this lathe and its models on lathes.uk.

Not only is this lathe 3500 lbs but it is loaded with stuff like automatic oiler etc - it is not your "average" engine lathe - its like a Ferrari lathe. Imagine technology in 1951 Ferrari used for racing. Had to check company existed in 1951 - it started in 1939.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am almost certain I win something at this auction - I feel I will be driving to Edmonton this Saturday.