• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

12x36

Chipper5783

A good way to learn more about what to look for in a machine - is to go look at machines. Even (or especially) check out ones that you absolutely no intention of buying - that way you won't be tempted. For sure, go an chat up the dealers - try to figure out a time when they are not likely to be busy. It won't take them long to figure out you are not a serious commercial customer, but so what - often as not they may have or know of some machines that are junk to them but would be of interest to you. Regardless, it is free advise from somebody who knows what they are talking about (they'll be biased and have opinions - but so what, you know that you are not going to buy what they are selling). That is part of your networking, down the road you never know what could work out.

That approach is basically how I ended up with my VMC - it started off going through a dealer, for sure I had zero intention of buying, I was just there to learn. After all the machine was too big, the power requirement was too demanding, more features than I was thinking of and it would take up a big chunk of my shop. Granted it was close by, and is too many cool features really that big a problem - funny how things go, a year later it was in my shop. This VMC certainly was not what I originally had in mind, but now it has grown on me and I'm not at all sorry to have a good sized capable machine. I digress - just start looking at machines every chance you get.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Another idea is to keep an eye on our 'member spotted deals' - my best deal came from there, and some help from another member here. Networking works that way also!

-- People here are always helping each another in some way.

John Conroy

Premium Member
If i do decide to at least look at it, is there any Edmonton members that would come make sure I'm not buying scrap metal,
I've looked at a few and have always walked away because my limited knowledge.

If you find one you want to look at I'll check it out with you.

John Conroy

Premium Member
That looks like a newer one as it has the enclosed gear box instead of the Norton style on the previous lathe.

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
I prefer the fully enclosed gearbox. My previous lathe had a Norton style, they require frequent lubrication by hand . The fully enclosed one runs in an oil bath.

The 2 protruding handles on the left are for the Norton gearbox.

This is what's inside.

You normally would lube a Norton style each time you use the machine by removing this plug and squirting oil into the space above the gearbox. The oil drips down through holes in the casting onto the gears.

frejoth gearbox oil port.jpg

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
One of the key differences between the King Canada 1236 and the Busy Bee one is the gearbox. King uses a Norton, Busy bee one is fully enclosed. If everything else was equal I would choose the fully enclosed.

KC-1236ML.jpg cx707.PNG

John Conroy

Premium Member
I think $3K is a pretty decent deal if it has accessories like a 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, follow rest, faceplate.
It does have a quick changer tool post which is good.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Care to elaborate on " if everything else was equal"
I've been wanting to know others opinion on this.
Both the King and the Busy Bee machines are made in Mainland China, the Frejoth could be Taiwan made which would be better but I can't tell by the pics. Both King and Busy bee would have some warranty but not really a factor considering what I have heard

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On the newer machine you can see the oil level sight glass for the gearbox here.

View attachment 13505

View attachment 13506
Looks cleaner than the one from yesterday, what do you guys think?
This is the one for 3k
Well I'm not an expert, but my opinion is that while that may not be a steal of a deal, it looks like good value to me. If it comes with much tooling or accessories than it starts to look particularly attractive as it looks in very good shape. If it was a size of lathe I was looking for I think I would go for it myself.