• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

You know you better slow down when...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
She is playing now. I won't warn her......

what was I just saying about those rhyming words...

Sorry, forgot to tell your hours ago that the rhyming words got her too...... Not a happy place around here. She went to get a grand daughter and I snuck out to the shop. Now she took off shopping and guess who is babysitting......

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Spoiler Alert....
wordle has another of those words designed to break the streak of the majority of users today.

I'm down to my last guess... so sleep on it and approach it fresh, or give it my last shot now?

My third guess is a direct result of conducting beekeeping research all day.

1684037835092.png

Maker Mike

Premium Member
Mine got it in 2 today, took me 4. Toronto Builder, those were all good words. Do you guys ever pick words just to weed out letters? I do it often, but I'm not sure if it is a good strategy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Do you guys ever pick words just to weed out letters?

My bride often does that. Sometimes when she has nothing, she will throw a ridiculous word at it just to hope it burps out something useful.

I don't play cuz I would drown myself in a sea of probability calculations that would take all the fun out of it.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Mine got it in 2 today, took me 4. Toronto Builder, those were all good words. Do you guys ever pick words just to weed out letters? I do it often, but I'm not sure if it is a good strategy.
The hard version rules require that you must use all the letters you know are in the word, so you often can't use elimination words to weed out the chaff.

I also don't use unusual starter words designed to eliminate as many vowels etc because I am not trying to make it easy, I'm trying to work my brain to stave off early onset dementia. This is also why I plan right before bed. For the same reason I try to play a speed game, like chess... and I always enter the first word to pop into my head rather than list all the possible words and then pick what I'd expect is more likely. Sometimes my word choices make for interesting psychoanalysis.... sometimes it just reveals what I've been reading recently.

Another rules is I pick a normal starting word and stick with it until I guess it on the first try. I only did that once so far. But recently I violated that rule and changed from tears to stare when someone suggested it because tears as a starting word is unconsciously depressing

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I guess no one picked up on this?
I thought you were just having fun with another word that fit. Was there more to it than that?

The hard version rules require that you must use all the letters you know are in the word, so you often can't use elimination words to weed out the chaff.

I didn't know about this rule. Now I'm wondering if the bride does......

I also don't use unusual starter words designed to eliminate as many vowels etc because I am not trying to make it easy, I'm trying to work my brain to stave off early onset dementia.

Sometimes we forget why we do things. It's good that you can keep that goal clearly in front of you. I would quickly forget about it cuz it's already too late. Then again, I'm think I'm already past the early onset goalpost.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I thought you were just having fun with another word that fit. Was there more to it than that?

I didn't know about this rule. Now I'm wondering if the bride does......

Sometimes we forget why we do things. It's good that you can keep that goal clearly in front of you. I would quickly forget about it cuz it's already too late. Then again, I'm think I'm already past the early onset goalpost.
IF I'd have first thought Scary, I'd have lost and ended my streak. Now that's scary. ;)

Most people start playing and dont care about the difficult version. Many people just want to "win" more than anything, which is why there are so many sites dedicated to tips and strategies to assure players win.

Winning however is not my goal... and tip sites, strategies and outright cheating undermine my reason for playing to the extent that I may as well not play at all.

Now, if I spent my time calculating the odds of what words could be left to fit the given letters that would suit my purpose as much as guessing words. however, I hate math and love language... so I just guess the words and dont think of probabilities as I go along.

Oh and if you love wordle and think it is too easy, try absurdle. This is really a game of probabilities and requires strategic word choices designed to force absurdle into selecting new target words that leave fewer potential word choices as you progress. Try to win in 4-5 words, I dare yah

"If you are guessing the Wordle word everyday within one or two guesses, then level up with the free online game Absurdle. Don't be fooled: You may have unlimited guesses, but Absurdle changes the potential target word with each guess in proactive attempts to beat you. The setup is similar to Wordle, in that tiles turn yellow, green, and gray to give you hints at the secret word. But while Wordle is "charming," Absurdle is "adversarial." You can read the full instructions here, as well as scroll through FAQs to help you win."