• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

You know you are old when ...

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
you have to rebuild the toilet including the tank to bowl gasket and screws and you postpone it because it's just too much work. Not that you don't know how to do it. Seems like it was just done a while ago when in reality more like 15 or 20 years.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
you have to rebuild the toilet including the tank to bowl gasket and screws and you postpone it because it's just too much work. Not that you don't know how to do it. Seems like it was just done a while ago when in reality more like 15 or 20 years.
Always remember to schedule it to happen before the morning coffee, not after.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I scrapped the wax ring years ago. I can jerk a toilet off the bolts and put it back in 15 minutes I use the Fernco system
Wasn't the bowl to pipe joint that was the problem although those hold down bolts look pretty rough. The issue was the tank to bowl connection. When I went to untwist the wing nut on one it turned really easily and then fell out onto the floor. The other one needed a bit of a push after turning it a few times. No wonder we had a leak.
The valve assembly had also decided to start spraying water and or just not closing completely. So tank came off. Outside to wash with the house. Scrape dried rubber etc. from all the mounting holes. Then reassemble.
Shutoff valve from the wall was hard to completely close and even then dribbled a bit of water out the end of the flex hose. Solution to that was to turn off house water.
All back together, no leaks. Works fine. Have to think about rebuilding the tap on the wall.
The floor seal won't be done until we do a minor renovation to the bathroom. In maybe 42 years????

mickeyf

Have to think about rebuilding the tap on the wall.

If you have a gate valve, throw it in the garbage and replace it with a ball valve. Unlike a gate valve, a ball valve is obviously either on or off.

trevj

Ultra Member
If you have a gate valve, throw it in the garbage and replace it with a ball valve. Unlike a gate valve, a ball valve is obviously either on or off.
I'm still using gate valves that my great grandfather had installed. Jury is still out, on the ball valves that I put in! Someone long after me will either spit and curse, or sing my praises, but I won't see it!

Have replaced too many of both, over the years, to think much of one, over the other! Drain your line in unheated spaces, folks! :)

ChazzC

Unless things are different up North, the multi-turn shutoff valves under the toilet & sink are a variation on a globe valve and have a flat seat & washer, not a sliding gate.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Unless things are different up North, the multi-turn shutoff valves under the toilet & sink are a variation on a globe valve and have a flat seat & washer, not a sliding gate.
I believe so. Swollen rubber seal and maybe even cracked which is why it would never completely shut off.

Aliva

Super User
save some time and future headaches add a second new valve after the old valve. turn the old valve on and leave it alone the second new valve will act as the main shutoff.

jorogi

I just stopped the dog from doing this. I trained her to pick up things on command. It was as much about keeping her busy as anything. I had another dog trained for this and I'd toss a zip wheel on the floor at ten and then have to drag the dog in the house at bedtime, he never picked one up and he'd never surrender. Moggy went out with mom one day and I had to pick something up for myself and realized I had to stop using the dog. Old sucks.