• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Yet another Calgary member...

Galoot

My #1 hobby since 1964 is ham radio and building electronic circuits including surface mount stuff. I probably have more invested in surplus electronic test equipment
than radios as most of my work is RF. (For perspective, I bought my 6th oscilloscope last week!). I have also done a ton of woodworking/woodturning and had a well
equipped shop until recently but my son has most of that stuff now. He has become a much better woodworker than I ever was. But small scale metalworking has
interested me for many years and while I can design my own RF circuits, packaging them has always been a challenge. The results were something only a builder could
love. I used whatever boxes I could find. Now I want to have the appearance to look as good as the actual circuits worked and build for proper shielding. So I bought a
box and pan brake and 12" shear. This is for cutting PCB and aluminum.
Now simple boxes are easy, but I found it is a slippery slope. The next step in a few months is a mill/lathe addition for small parts work; less than 12". My goal is to
combine metal and wood in my boxes. I still have some bits of exotic hardwood that will complement brass and aluminum nicely, so my next RF project will look far
better than some of those previous projects I built in my youth!

Chipper5783

Now simple boxes are easy, but I found it is a slippery slope. The next step in a few months is a mill/lathe addition for small parts work; less than 12". My goal is to
combine metal and wood in my boxes. I still have some bits of exotic hardwood that will complement brass and aluminum nicely, so my next RF project will look far
better than some of those previous projects I built in my youth!

Careful, it is a very slipper slope (in fact it will suck you in completely). If you bide your time, ask around, monitor Kijiji (and auctions) you should be able to land a nice little lathe and small mill (I've bought 6 machines - the furthest I've gone is Airdrie - Nisku, and I have passed on lots of nice machines, just not nice for me).

Welcome to the hobby, it sounds like you have lots of interests that would benefit from getting into more metalworking activities.

David

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Just as I was reading your post I am sitting next to my CB base station. I really like 2 way radios but I don't have a ham license so I do my experiments on the 11 meter band. Im not sure what area you are in, or if you even have any cb stuff but it would be fun to try to make contact on ssb. 20180903_161951.jpg

Galoot

I'm in the NW not far from YYC but don't have any CB gear at all; went right into ham radio. I only operate morse code when I do get on which is now only about once a week recently. There are local classes that would get you your ham license though!

Welcome aboard good sir!
I've been here a few weeks and it seems the community is full of great people with lots of knowledge to share.
I've been working in a sheet metal shop for a long time now and I've made oodles and oodles of little boxes and all kinds of random things.
I'd be glad to help with any projects you've got in mind.

Side note: I've made a few tables that I incorporated wood with the metal and I just love the way they work together

Galoot

Thanks! My experience is next to zero making enclosures. I just started doing this recently as I never could find a right sized ready made box that suited my
projects. So far I have made just a few, with only a couple of failures. :)
I've made kitchen/dining/coffee tables, but never incorporated metal, though I have seen many examples of that done and always admired
the net result. Nice going! Any pictures of your boxes on the site here somewhere?

Thanks! My experience is next to zero making enclosures. I just started doing this recently as I never could find a right sized ready made box that suited my
projects. So far I have made just a few, with only a couple of failures. :)
I've made kitchen/dining/coffee tables, but never incorporated metal, though I have seen many examples of that done and always admired
the net result. Nice going! Any pictures of your boxes on the site here somewhere?

I don't have any pics on here but when I get home later I will take a few snap shots of what I've got around there.

If you can find a little spot welder for your shop that would be a huge help for these sorts of things.

I love being able to make something specifically for a certain space that I'd otherwise never find something to fit in there

@Galoot
Hey sorry it took so long. Busy days these are but I got a few shots of some of the little boxes and such that I've made.
Let me know if you think I can help you out with yours

Attachments

• IMG_20180909_114718920.jpg
    IMG_20180909_114718920.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180909_114930948.jpg
    IMG_20180909_114930948.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180907_073006501.jpg
    IMG_20180907_073006501.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180907_174619508.jpg
    IMG_20180907_174619508.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180909_114753837.jpg
    IMG_20180909_114753837.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180907_135935899.jpg
    IMG_20180907_135935899.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180907_174634777.jpg
    IMG_20180907_174634777.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180909_114708433.jpg
    IMG_20180909_114708433.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180709_120148548.jpg
    IMG_20180709_120148548.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180907_135927732.jpg
    IMG_20180907_135927732.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180909_114937794.jpg
    IMG_20180909_114937794.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180909_114842946_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180909_114842946_HDR.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0

Wally

Welcome aboard. As a fairly new member myself I think I can say you will find the info you glean from this group for anything metal working and more to be very helpful and interesting. And the people I have had the pleasure to talk with are great. Hope you find it as useful a site as I have.

Galoot

Sorry for late replies; 403Tinbasher those boxes are great! I've been focused on boxes for RF stuff but realized
I could make some with hinges too as general purpose parts boxes. Great idea. And thanks Wally. I've lurked
a bit here and found the same thing.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
My #1 hobby since 1964 is ham radio and building electronic circuits including surface mount stuff. I probably have more invested in surplus electronic test equipment
than radios as most of my work is RF. (For perspective, I bought my 6th oscilloscope last week!).

@Galoot - Just saw your post now. You and I have a lot in common. My hobbies are electronics and metal working. Check out this recent post of mine where I finally built a devoted electronics test bench after making room in my metal shop: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...nspired-me-new-test-workbench.1031/#post-9959 (But I've only owned 3 scopes in my life so you have me beat...although my most recent is a DSO. My others were CRTs and I am proud to say I remember Simpson VOMs from high school electronics classes).

I also see you are into box design. I recently bought a pneumatic corner notcher for making boxes. The post is at https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...-a-new-addition-to-the-family.1043/#post-9991 if you are interested. I use a magnetic brake myself, coupled with a Tennsmith shear.

Lastly, I see you mentioned 1964. Ha ha. You're in my "chronological pay grade" ... so you probably remember Radio Shack and its circuit books written by Forrest M. Mims. I just recently got an email from him as we have kept in touch a bit over the years. He was my hero :)

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
@Galoot
Hey sorry it took so long. Busy days these are but I got a few shots of some of the little boxes and such that I've made.
Let me know if you think I can help you out with yours
Nice, nice, nice work. I just started getting into aircraft (solid) riveting for stuff like this. I think I'm going Steampunk.

Galoot

Thanks CalgaryPT! Well, yes I do remember all that stuff and still have one of those old Simpson 260's (used it tonight).
No DSO's here, all analog Tek and HP. I only had one DSO and it sold last week so down to 5 scopes now. :)
My old books are long gone as a result of moving across the country though.
I like your setup; nice notcher. When I figure out how to use the forum, I'll post a picture of my workbench.