YesWelder?

trevj

Ultra Member
"Un-Needed welder!" LOL!

What I would part with actual money for now, is either a decent(ish) little import TIG machine that has a lot of bells and whistles, or a used Miller Dynasty or Synchrowave in a 250A or under size.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but didna play it smarter! Not gonna change my life a lot if I end up genuinely 'out' on the purchase, but I strongly suspect in the end, it costs me some small level of embarrassment for leaping before looking, and some small hassle regarding burning that credit card number (which my Ex could likely recite anyways, so long overdue!)

I don't mind being thrifty when I buy stuff, but I tend to research what I'm buying to avoid wasting money.

I am on stuck on brand names, or scared of spending money when required, but I hate wasting money on crap.

The YesWelder reminds me of Dollar Store tools, you buy them hoping they last for the one task you need them for, and if they last a lifetime (doing all tasks you ask of them), you laugh all the way to the bank.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Jeeez guys, if you want a cheap welder i will sell you an old Forney i have sitting in the shed. ;)Great "little" welding machine, "portable" sort of, has wheels. Many other features, like a carbon arc torch with rods.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I don't mind being thrifty when I buy stuff, but I tend to research what I'm buying to avoid wasting money.

I am on stuck on brand names, or scared of spending money when required, but I hate wasting money on crap.

The YesWelder reminds me of Dollar Store tools, you buy them hoping they last for the one task you need them for, and if they last a lifetime (doing all tasks you ask of them), you laugh all the way to the bank.

Speaking of Dollar store tools, I have recently switched to buying the orange dollarama mechanix gloves. $5 a pair, and for me and my uses they last just as long as the now $25-30 mechanix pairs. I remember when they were cheap, about 12-15, but over the last couple years the price has soared, and the quality has gone to shit. Rips at seams, and easily worn through. WAAAAAY to much money for a consumable like that. The orange Dollerarama gloves dont quite fit as good for me (I have fat hands and short fingers lol) but for the price difference I can live with them. I get a couple months of wrenching and fab work out of them, then don't feel so bad about trashing them.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Jeeez guys, if you want a cheap welder i will sell you an old Forney i have sitting in the shed. ;)Great "little" welding machine, "portable" sort of, has wheels. Many other features, like a carbon arc torch with rods.
I want a cheap little welder I can carry with one hand......;).

trevj

Ultra Member

I won't ever diss on the cheapest of cheap available tools, they do have their uses! Not everyone needs a $1000 set of wrenches, or a Lie-Nelson hand plane. To a point, at least, the stuff all can be made to work reasonably well, if, with less of that ephemeral 'user experience' that gets hyped a lot. And sometimes it takes the experience of a winter driving a Trabant around, to make you really appreciate your Toyota!

Firstly, a person that is willing to give ANY mechanical repair job a go, rather than tossing in the towel, or tossing away a repairable item, is, in my opinion, doing better for themselves, than the person who yammers about low grade tools ever will be.

Second, as nice as the tools off the Snap-On truck are, they don't work any better than the same basic tools from about ANY source.

And third, if you have pulled wrenches for any length of time, you eventually find out that it stings more than just a little when you have to take that nice shiny wrench you paid so much for, and grind it, cut it, bend it, weld it, etc., so that it will do what you need it to, for 'this' job. And I have made many a day-glow-abortion of assorted parts of cheap tools, in to special limited purpose but oh so functional tools that made their making, even if never to be used again, worth the time and effort.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I take offence to using Trabant as your baseline comparison. I live in Vancouver, my Trabant/DKW was ok, even though it didn't have a heater, and needed to mix oil & gas, and couldn't go above 70 kph, sounded like the entire Luftwaffe warming up, and couldn't go 50 kilometres without something breaking.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
We had that happen with buying a dog gate....$50.00 shipping included, charged $550.00 with them trying a second charge as I was speaking with the credit card company.

Once bitten twice shy.

Now I use AMEX, they take the Gorilla approach bad vendors and claw back every dollars along with a pound or two of flesh :D
I finally settled with FedEx. Shipped 4 boxes to the USA. Value for Customs someone (I think automatically) was transferred into value for transport. Even though I did not check the box for insured transport when I created the shipping labels the only costs shown were transport and fuel surchage. About $50 per box FedEx ground.
Twenty days later an email with the VISA transaction shows up with an additional $1000 per box for a total of $4000 for insurace.
After fighting this for two weeks they offered a one time 50% reduction. I took it. The very fine print in the shipping agreement (like your Windows 11 agreement when you agree to in order to use the computer you bought) states if the shipping form shows value for transport then insurance will be charged.
It's like being blackmailed. Thing is I can't prove that I didn't enter value for shipping even though I suspect their software does it automatically and then when you don't remove it proactively you are charged.
Other shipments like this will now go UPS.

I recently ordered two seals for my excavator, can carry them in my pocket as a size reference. About $70.00 for the two...... Have to come from the States, and I am in need of them, so I agreed to $120.00 shipping for overnight airfreight....... I guess they don't count weekends or days that end with a "y"........six days and counting. I have a pretty good idea what dark location I am going to suggest they file that bill...... If they can't deliver on the service, they really shouldn't offer it......
Phew, venting really does make one feel better. Lol

I recently ordered two seals for my excavator, can carry them in my pocket as a size reference. About $70.00 for the two...... Have to come from the States, and I am in need of them, so I agreed to $120.00 shipping for overnight airfreight....... I guess they don't count weekends or days that end with a "y"........six days and counting. I have a pretty good idea what dark location I am going to suggest they file that bill...... If they can't deliver on the service, they really shouldn't offer it......
Phew, venting really does make one feel better. Lol
File a claim, with the vendor, he's the one that needs to correct this.

Proxule

Ultra Member
I take offence to using Trabant as your baseline comparison. I live in Vancouver, my Trabant/DKW was ok, even though it didn't have a heater, and needed to mix oil & gas, and couldn't go above 70 kph, sounded like the entire Luftwaffe warming up, and couldn't go 50 kilometres without something breaking.
You didn't mention its major selling feature, the Duroplast!
East Germany's answer to a lack of steel
:D