• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

WWJPD (What would Joe Pie Do)

trlvn

Ultra Member
I know he is not everybody's cup of tea but I enjoy watching Joe Pie's Youtube channel. He has done several series of videos on building miniature machine shop tools where he shows extraordinarily creative ways to hold and produce very tiny parts. But his video this weekend on making a hinge for his current project (a miniature milling machine) was utterly mind-bending:

Any normal work-holding approach would just crush such an itty-bitty piece of brass. If you haven't seen it, I'd encourage you to watch at least the first few minutes of the video.

Those few times I've come up with a good solution to a work-holding problem that I'm struggling with, I tell myself that I'm "channeling my inner Joe Pie"!! ;)

Craig

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The millturn fixturing method. I use this a lot at work for special fixture and gauge pins. I don't generally use the spindex, but my er32 collet blocks (hex or square), as it also allows me to stand it up and hit that 5th side.

I have used a spindexer as well, but prefer the ER blocks when I can. They each have their merits, but overall the Millturn method like this is an awesome arrow to have in your quiver.

eVT1Sj2.jpg 2ndmPNh.jpg 8A4Mmnb.jpg