(Craig)
Premium Member
Ideally it would....

Have an adjustable clutch system
Tap up to 1/2"
Have R8 or 3/4" straight shank
Be auto reversing

I'll consider anything actually...

PM me if you have something to part with.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Ideally it would....

Tap up to 1/2"
Have R8 or 3/4" straight shank
Be auto reversing

I'll consider anything actually...

PM me if you have something to part with.

Thanks,

Craig
I realize this will go over like a lead balloon but I have to say it anyway.;)

G90 (set absolute mode)
G0 X1.000 Y1.000 Z0.100 (rapid move to starting position)
S100 M3 (turn on the spindle, 100 RPM)
G33.1 Z-0.750 K0.05 (rigid tap a 20 TPI thread 0.750 deep)
M2 (end program)

Here's a detailed explanation.

Looking for a video...

Here we go. Into oak. I had posted it to youtube.

Last edited:
I have a head and love it, up to 1/2" can get a little more expensive. Consider new as the clutches and components can be hard to replace.

When I start tapping on the CNC I'm going to use a end mill for cutting threads and a threading routine. Better flexibility.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I have a head and love it, up to 1/2" can get a little more expensive. Consider new as the clutches and components can be hard to replace.

When I start tapping on the CNC I'm going to use a end mill for cutting threads and a threading routine. Better flexibility.
Looking forward to seeing that approach for 4-40 or 6-32 threaded holes. ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have three tapping heads. Usually they come in sizes. I.e. you cannot tap on the same head, AFAIK, which can do tiny thread like 4-40 and a large one like 1/2-13 with same adjustable head.

Personally I have most use only for tapping heads that are in the small range - i.e. threads 5/16 and under - anything 3/8 and over especially far a pass through hole can by tapped easily without tapping head - just put the tap in, use it, reverse your mill and out it comes. Unless material is hard like 4330 and tap is dull breaking it off are unlikely.

All of my tapping heads are MT - none are for R8 or straight shank - maybe they do have such shanks but to be honest I never seen a tapping head with straight shank.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I cant speak for other makes but I know Tapmatic come in a multitude of common arbor mounts. So its easy to just get the appropriate arbor to marry the head to your machine analogous to 2-part drill chucks. Some have the heads dedicated to a drill press, others a mill.

Attachments

• EDT-2022-10-03 2.21.34 PM.jpg
    EDT-2022-10-03 2.21.34 PM.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 2

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Anyone have one of these?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

Yep I have one of these - small one for small taps, I do not think mine is from Accusize but they all look identical.

You can get them from ali as well.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yep I have one of these - small one for small taps, I do not think mine is from Accusize but they all look identical.

You can get them from ali as well.

Not seeing much on AliExpress and what's there is on the expensive side?

Yes just under a different brand from KBC years ago.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I've done M3 on my shop built CNC. Tested in delrin first due to pucker factor on $15 tool. Easy enough to buy down to M1x0.25 (<0-80)
That's why my video was oak. I've done 4mm under CNC. Sure is cool to watch even with the pucker factor.

My biggest worry is that I haven't got the V belts tight enough or that the pulleys I built are not adequate for proper grip and that the belts will slip. Not that it matters as the encoder is on the spindle but I think once slipping starts it's hard to recover.

It's the next size up in link belts and I'm not sure I want to spend the money on that when I really just want to go to a toothed belt. Project #42.