wtb: paralells

painly

looking for a set of 4-6 suitable for a 4" chuck with 1.300" high jaws. Not apposed to some shop made if within reasonable spec.

Thanks
Barrett
(saskatoon)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When you say chuck, I assume you mean vise maybe?
If you don't find any leads, the Chinesiums are actually pretty good. And you should consider what thickness, they come in various flavors

1613070575275.png
Or do you mean spacers for a chuck like these?

1613070531129.png

painly

Sorry, I did mean vise! Don't know what I was thinking...it was early. And yes I saw those and wondered how they were. Thanks for the info.

Barrett

Tom O

Ultra Member
That’s the kind I think most of us have. I have never had a problem with them but I wouldn’t mind a set of wavy and expandable ones too.

jaydag71

pretty cheap waveys available on ali express not long ago... was also thinking of a set for myself but didnt bother yet...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Normally I'm a tool junky but I actually had to stop & think why I would need a set or wavy's. What are some setup examples they would be the weapon of choice?

jaydag71

my understanding of wavys is they can be handy for supporting thinner materials which may be flexing, sagging or uneven/flat otherwise? i dont yet own a set so no practical wisdom here just recycling info i read someplace.

In my mind they would be handy for mid span supports of wider projects...prob msny other ops im not familiar with as well.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
If you are patient they come up on eBay with some regularity. These are made in Switzerland and were as I recall $30 USD plus shipping.

878c2b90529281dc158f71d9626d3e12.jpg
7061a3d1ce3f542f18b24ebbbbc60669.jpg
cf0a0ad4dd02437abbd68af74a6b6693.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaydag71

those look like a decent set- havent owned any spi tools but have heard some good things through vids and forums ive browsed...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I get picky about things like indicators, but for parallels I am super happy with my offshore sets.

They are cheap and good (It is is easier to make them parallel and straight than otherwise). For normal use being on dimension is just not that big a deal. If you don't like how accurate they are. there are 5 guys with Surface grinders here, and they can be touched up in a matter of minutes.