• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

WTB: Bench Mill

Rauce

Ultra Member
I have a larger mill so I can't help with that measurement but I also deal with space constraints in my 10x20 garage. One thing I didn't think of until recently was to remove the left hand wheel from the table. It gives me at least 2" more travel in that direction before it bumps the wall and because of how I have the machine positioned I wasn't ever using it anyways.

My shop at the 10x12, it held a drill press and vise on one table, Logan Model 200 lathe, table saw, radial arm saw and small knee mill.

Proper set up and location equipment is important.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
My shop at the 10x12, it held a drill press and vise on one table, Logan Model 200 lathe, table saw, radial arm saw and small knee mill.

Proper set up and location equipment is important.
My problem is fitting 2 small SUV's in along with all my tools/equipment into an 18x20 + 6x12 bump out. She's tight and I don't just do machinist stuff, so I need space for other activities.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
This is easy. Vehicles don't belong in a garage. They rust faster indoors and should be kept outdoors. I'm not kidding.

Technically a wet/salty vehicle will rust faster in a warmer environment...yes. However, dry and inside out of the snow/rain without the sun eating at the rubber and paint and such, without birds crapping on them, without kids scratching them or hitting them with balls...and without people stealing the entire vehicle or the catalytic convertors or something while outside. Yeah I'll stick with putting them indoors at the risk of minor rust.

I did tire changes yesterday, after 6 years of garage life, the underside of our Lexus is pretty darn clean:

Good rust proofing (fluid film) makes it such a moot point overall.

So ya, vehicles are staying inside.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Technically a wet/salty vehicle will rust faster in a warmer environment...yes. However, dry and inside out of the snow/rain without the sun eating at the rubber and paint and such, without birds crapping on them, without kids scratching them or hitting them with balls...and without people stealing the entire vehicle or the catalytic convertors or something while outside. Yeah I'll stick with putting them indoors at the risk of minor rust.

I did tire changes yesterday, after 6 years of garage life, the underside of our Lexus is pretty darn clean:

Good rust proofing (fluid film) makes it such a moot point overall.

So ya, vehicles are staying inside.

I hear you. Mostly I was trying to give you ammo to convince your better half that the garage is a work shop not a parking lot.

But if YOU prefer your vehicles inside then that's a different story altogether.

Don't be so sure about the corrosion in your cars though. I ran the corrosion lab at a major vehicle manufacturer for about 10 years. We routinely tore down vehicles from all across North America & less often from elsewhere in the world. I'm not talking rusted calipers and visual rust here. I'm talking corrosion in the sheet metal seams and dissimilar metal connections that you won't even see till the connections fall apart or there is hole there. Corrosion from winter salt usually keeps growing in those places all summer long. So parking outside won't make it go away but it will slow it down in the winter. For the summer, it's better to let the rain dilute it and wash it out than to let it get wet and dry and wet and dry by parking inside. It's a much more complicated process than the interweb might suggest. Your own driving patterns, your local road maintenance, and your local climate can all make a huge difference to your situation and your experience.

But you are certainly right about sun damage. The sun has its own evil ways to destroy your car. I don't personally think they are as bad as rust though because it's pretty easy to protect your vehicle from UV and heat problems.

You are also right about crooks. It's a sad world out there when they have more access to your car than you do! Even a rusting car is better than one that gets stolen or chopped up. A few short months ago I was shocked by the number of forum members who reported that their exhaust catalysts were stolen. Very sad, and very distressing.

My own shop is in the barn not the garage. So I don't need any excuses. Nonetheless, there are no cars in my garage in the winter. On the other hand, my house is at the end of a very long farm lane. I like to believe that thieves and vandals are basically too lazy to walk down that lane and any that did would trip my security system anyway.

All this is to say that it makes sense to me that we don't have the same priorities. I feel your pain.

Your shop/garage/play pen looks pretty awesome to me. I think a lot of our members would love to trade you!
I especially love your vehicle lift! That looks awesome! I'm jealous!

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I hear you. Mostly I was trying to give you ammo to convince your better half that the garage is a work shop not a parking lot.

But if YOU prefer your vehicles inside then that's a different story altogether.

Don't be so sure about the corrosion in your cars though. I ran the corrosion lab at a major vehicle manufacturer for about 10 years. We routinely tore down vehicles from all across North America & less often from elsewhere in the world. I'm not talking rusted calipers and visual rust here. I'm talking corrosion in the sheet metal seams and dissimilar metal connections that you won't even see till the connections fall apart or there is hole there. Corrosion from winter salt usually keeps growing in those places all summer long. So parking outside won't make it go away but it will slow it down in the winter. For the summer, it's better to let the rain dilute it and wash it out than to let it get wet and dry and wet and dry by parking inside. It's a much more complicated process than the interweb might suggest. Your own driving patterns, your local road maintenance, and your local climate can all make a huge difference to your situation and your experience.

But you are certainly right about sun damage. The sun has its own evil ways to destroy your car. I don't personally think they are as bad as rust though because it's pretty easy to protect your vehicle from UV and heat problems.

You are also right about crooks. It's a sad world out there when they have more access to your car than you do! Even a rusting car is better than one that gets stolen or chopped up. A few short months ago I was shocked by the number of forum members who reported that their exhaust catalysts were stolen. Very sad, and very distressing.

My own shop is in the barn not the garage. So I don't need any excuses. Nonetheless, there are no cars in my garage in the winter. On the other hand, my house is at the end of a very long farm lane. I like to believe that thieves and vandals are basically too lazy to walk down that lane and any that did would trip my security system anyway.

All this is to say that it makes sense to me that we don't have the same priorities. I feel your pain.

Your shop/garage/play pen looks pretty awesome to me. I think a lot of our members would love to trade you!
I especially love your vehicle lift! That looks awesome! I'm jealous!

Very fair points in all regards good sir! It's a tradeoff as with anything and it's definitely my choice (not the wife's) to keep them inside all the time. It also keeps me from getting too out of control with junk in the garage, forces me to stay organized, but makes it more pleasant to work when I'm not constantly tripping over stuff. I do plan to add a second "cleaner" shop space in the basement at some point which should give me a bit more room to play :)

The lift is awesome, was a fair bit of work to install (busting out the concrete especially) but in the end is worth it AND sooooo much easier on the body when working on a vehicle. Honestly, my garage is a great space, but as with almost all of us, could always be bigger lol

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The lift is awesome, was a fair bit of work to install (busting out the concrete especially) but in the end is worth it AND sooooo much easier on the body when working on a vehicle. Honestly, my garage is a great space, but as with almost all of us, could always be bigger lol

If you ever feel so inclined, I'd love to see more detail on that lift. What you bought, what it cost, what you modified, what you had to do to the floor, capacity, safety, etc etc.

I'm not getting any younger either. I HATE BENDING OVER!!! I bet that thing could be used for gators and lawn mowers too!

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
If you ever feel so inclined, I'd love to see more detail on that lift. What you bought, what it cost, what you modified, what you had to do to the floor, capacity, safety, etc etc.

I'm not getting any younger either. I HATE BENDING OVER!!! I bet that thing could be used for gators and lawn mowers too!

Also can be a big adjustable height work platform with a sheet of plywood or two, lots of neat things you can do with this style lift.

I'll do a video on the lift in the next week or two :) I have some pictures of the install and can walk through how it works.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This has all been such a good read.
- Garage: My 2-car garage hasn't seen either car for 5 years. The compact tractor, riding mower, shop tools, workbenches, welder, etc all take precedence. I'm rural (Burlington) and a bit off of the beaten path so I keep the yard well lit (hopefully a deterrent).
- Used mill: would love to find one in good condition but I think they get sold privately and don't hit the open market often or for long. Used could mean that the bugs are worked out but otherwise used = risky. I too (like @SomeGuy) don't want the new addition to the shop to become the project - set it up and learn to use it not repair it!
- New mill: here is where I have most enjoyed SomeGuy's pursuit. I joined this forum (a month ago yesterday) because I'm thinking about adding a mill to the garage/shop. I have no milling experience so have been looking for both advise and advice. The PM727V is becoming my 1st choice, I just wish PM had a distributer north of the border. My top contenders for the 727V are the King 20VS or their PDM30 and the Craftex CX611 or CX601. A recent post by @Stx450 (Apr 16, motor problems with new PDM30) and other things on the www indicate problems with a new King or a new Craftex are not uncommon and not easily resolved. I will continue to look and learn a bit more. Purchasing new from PM might be my best option and yes I certainly realize there are a lot of guys with King and Craftex that are very happy with their choice. I'm in no hurry and the price of the PM is an incentive to keep looking/learning.
Thanks for your comments @Susquatch @Degen @Rauce @gerritv @trlvn @LenVW --- they were directed toward SomeGuy but were also very helpful to me.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
@CWret One option I considered was driving to Precision Matthews to pick up a machine. From our neck of the woods, it is a longish but not extraordinary drive to do a down-and-back trip. You'll have to pay the HST anyway and the stop at the border normally doesn't take very long. Something to consider...

Craig

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, if PM gets the nod, I have given that road trip consideration. My car nav says PM is 6 hours away (one way). That would also avoids it being handled by several carriers at their transfer terminals.
Besides, what else has a retired guy got to do. Probably also get a PM tour.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Yes, if PM gets the nod, I have given that road trip consideration. My car nav says PM is 6 hours away (one way).
Besides, what else has a retired guy got to do.
I’ll be accepting applications for a new Geriatric Assistant this year, consideration will be given to those that can use a cell phone, GPS and a drivers license. You sound over qualified but we can talk
:D

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Chicken lights -
PS: It’s not on my resume but I should warn you that I don’t qualify to have a smart phone.
The cell phone part of the requirements will be bare bones.

1- Can you charge a phone and keep it turned on during the day?
2- Can you actually hear when the phone rings? Partial marks given for visual clues like lights or buzzing to identify its ringing
3- Can you answer the phone?

The current GA struggles with 1 & 2

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
GA sound like a terrific achievement and title. Would I then reach a lifetime Peter Principal plateau and qualify to be a parliamentary assistant for Trudeau or is that just out of my reach? If Trudeau was to hire me - could i just tell him “fuddleduddle” and quit?

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We are getting off track - sorry -as fun as it is. This started as Precision Matthews vs others or getting a used mill. I’d like to hear more opinions about these choices.
Thanks
Craig

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
23 hours from Winnipeg to pick up a PM machine… the cost of shipping and tailgate delivery seems like a bargain to me. But I am time poor.