• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Looks like you're heading in the direction. The elbow grease seems to have been worth the effort.
Heading back home on the last boat tonight, so I guess I am heading in the right direction too, hopefully I'll get to try out the milling attachment fairly soon.... 😉
I am finally feeling there might be some light at the end of this rusty tunnel...

I did end up carrying over a few parts from the original assembly (and there may be others I swap about). Tailstock all TBD although I should look into the materials required for the extension mod (I know it requires cutting acme threads).
 
First piece in progress with the new headstock. Alignment seems good, but the section will be the piece that really points out any issues. Hopefully try that this evening...
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260215_211504411.jpg
    PXL_20260215_211504411.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20260215_211507193.jpg
    PXL_20260215_211507193.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20260215_211509830.MACRO_FOCUS.jpg
    PXL_20260215_211509830.MACRO_FOCUS.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20260215_211530278.jpg
    PXL_20260215_211530278.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Once I sell a few pens again I can buy new tools! Self sustaining hobby right?

There’s a couple threaded adaptors that I make for hydraulic punches that basically pays for all the other stuff I do.

My “interest” with my lathe is boom-sticks, fixing, building, modifying, accurising, etc, but I kind of suck at it yet because I’m new at it.

But what pays the most is hydraulic punch adaptors and accessories…..

I can make an internal/external threaded hydraulic adaptor in a single set up in a 3 jaw, out of scrap oilfield sucker rod, and sell it for like 150$…..

Or a certain size stud out of sucker rod for 50…..

All that to say keep your eyes open for other opportunities that can be made on a lathe related to or similar to your pens, I stumbled upon that hydraulic adaptor thing and it’s more lucrative then what I want to do….

I mean I still technically have spent more then I’ve made but it certainly doesn’t hurt to make a few extra bucks here and there to pay for the tools and machines.

I guess it can be an almost self sustaining hobby.
 
My “interest” with my lathe is boom-sticks, fixing, building, modifying, accurising, etc, but I kind of suck at it yet because I’m new at it.
Really ?
Boom sticks ?
One hundred foot long straight logs with a hole augered through each end to accept the passage of a boom chain, several necklaced together to form a log boom to haul several thousand saw logs down coast to the sawmill.
And those are of interest east of Lethbridge ? Really ?
🙄
 
Really ?
Boom sticks ?
One hundred foot long straight logs with a hole augered through each end to accept the passage of a boom chain, several necklaced together to form a log boom to haul several thousand saw logs down coast to the sawmill.
And those are of interest east of Lethbridge ? Really ?
🙄
The logging industry is great everywhere till you run out of trees friend.

That’s why it’s a hobby. Not commercially viable when all you have around is sage brush and dust
 
Back
Top