• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Just so you know, you have achieved the exalted level of working on your machines more than using them. Or as my wife would say using tools to make tools. 😀
Let's see... I built the foundry so I could cast bronze parts for the Lyle Hess 32' cutter I bought plans for. Having the foundry it seemed a good idea, after having built the Gingery Hacksaw and Slip Roll to also make the lathe...
Next thing you know I'm building a CNC router and buying a 3:1 sheet metal machine, corner notcher and a used 7" metal cutting band saw. Then the South Bend wandered into the shop along with the House of Tools Mill.
Now I have built a few things here and there using the tools. Repaired a few things so that SWMBO is happy. But @DavidR8 is right. Seems I mostly use the tools to make tools or fix up tools.

Does that make me a tool?
 
Let's see... I built the foundry so I could cast bronze parts for the Lyle Hess 32' cutter I bought plans for. Having the foundry it seemed a good idea, after having built the Gingery Hacksaw and Slip Roll to also make the lathe...
Next thing you know I'm building a CNC router and buying a 3:1 sheet metal machine, corner notcher and a used 7" metal cutting band saw. Then the South Bend wandered into the shop along with the House of Tools Mill.
Now I have built a few things here and there using the tools. Repaired a few things so that SWMBO is happy. But @DavidR8 is right. Seems I mostly use the tools to make tools or fix up tools.

Does that make me a tool?
I'll admit that I get a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment from building and modifying my machines.
 
Seems I mostly use the tools to make tools or fix up tools.
I'll admit that I get a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment from building and modifying my machines.

I think I am nearing the limits of my own rabbit hole exploration. I have quite successfully built tools for my tools for my tools, but I recently completed a tool for my tool for my tool for my tool for my tool: A Tommy bar to loosen an arbour, to hold stock to make a collet, to cut a degree wheel, to improve my lathe compound.

It would be ridiculous if it were not so enjoyable to do these things.
 
Now I have built a few things here and there using the tools. Repaired a few things so that SWMBO is happy. But @DavidR8 is right. Seems I mostly use the tools to make tools or fix up tools.

Do not discount in any way the value of fixing things for your SWIMBO! (Or even fixing things that she may notice). It helps even the balance of being noted to be using tools to mod/make/fix tools. Is there some sort of selection we do to come away with such perceptive partners?

Timely conversation because right now I have some scales inbound to upgrade my SM1120 (DRO) and some pieces may get temporarily diverted to put a scale on the turret of my mill so I can do an outsized piece. The piece in question is one that the other half will indeed notice, it’s a seat swivel for a camper van conversion that has just taken life. At this rate I may have to put some of this in my projects thread!

Anyone out there put a scale on the turret of your BP/clone? With TouchDRO (and no doubt others) you can combine two scales on one axis to bridge two movements.

D 😎
 
Believe it or not, that salty air isn't as bad as the humidity, high temperatures and road salt here.
Back in the days of construction trucking for me, we bought trucks from your eastern locals for 1/3 the price we had to pay for dry climate trucks. The eastern trucks run just as good but damn, if you needed to repair something it probably required the "blue wrench" to remove the rusted pieces.
value of fixing things for your SWIMBO! (Or even fixing things that she may notice). It helps even the balance of being noted to be using tools to mod/make/fix tools.
You NEVER hesitate when SHE asks if "you can make this in your shop" even if everything else comes to a complete standstill...she goes to the front of the line!!!
 
Spindle taper runout looks great.

MT3 collet chuck taper runout is not bad.

No recording of my threaded collet chuck because the runout was like 6 thou. So I do think that chuck might be a write off.

Interestingly the 3 jaw I have does not thread on. I know some folks had to open up the back a bit more for it to work on other chucks, so maybe that... I know @DavidR8 Bison chuck did that on my original spindle, so likely the same here.

Soooo I guess I will try turning some pieces with the MT3 chuck and see how they come out. But I'm still hoping to get a solution that will let me access the spindle bore.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260212_185804913.jpg
    PXL_20260212_185804913.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20260212_185835432.jpg
    PXL_20260212_185835432.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
MT3 collet chuck taper runout is not bad.

It might be better than you think. I noticed that the indicator seems to be synchronized to when you pull on the spindle. Everything is rubber. It could be that you pulling on it distorts the collet chuck and that is causing some runout.

Maybe try running it at the lowest speed. Or maybe putting a crank onto the back of the spindle so you can apply constant torque
 
It might be better than you think. I noticed that the indicator seems to be synchronized to when you pull on the spindle. Everything is rubber. It could be that you pulling on it distorts the collet chuck and that is causing some runout.

Maybe try running it at the lowest speed. Or maybe putting a crank onto the back of the spindle so you can apply constant torque
Aye, that was without the drawbar installed, I'll be doing that next to see (it has a little crank on it). I suspect it's going to be pretty decent.
 
Back
Top