• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Hi Michael,

Just a couple of thou is not too bad ! Did you rotate the chuck in the spindle at all ?
I take it that is at the worst point.
 
Video test with a collet and mandrel.

I don't know what that mandrel is, but there is a good chance it has its own runout. Also, you are testing out a fair ways from the face of the chuck. Your collet chuck might be even better than you show here, but even if not, that is pretty darn good.

OK, my turn to learn. How did you create and post that video?
 
I don't know what that mandrel is, but there is a good chance it has its own runout. Also, you are testing out a fair ways from the face of the chuck. Your collet chuck might be even better than you show here, but even if not, that is pretty darn good.

OK, my turn to learn. How did you create and post that video?
Yes, potential confounding factors but that's a good "real life" measurement IMO.

And video was just taken with my Android phone, shared through the Google Photos app.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260114-113718~2.png
    Screenshot_20260114-113718~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20260114-113724~2.png
    Screenshot_20260114-113724~2.png
    507.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20260114-113734.jpg
    Screenshot_20260114-113734.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi Susquatch,

The runout on my best Rego-Fix collet is so small I can barely see a tenths needle move !
I do admit that it is the only 12 mm RF one, the others are cheap Chinese ones. Its the one that I keep and only use for testing.
 
Hi Susquatch,

The runout on my best Rego-Fix collet is so small I can barely see a tenths needle move !
I do admit that it is the only 12 mm RF one, the others are cheap Chinese ones. Its the one that I keep and only use for testing.

I wasnt trying to say it's the best I've seen. Only that it is plenty good enough for what @Golem Pens is doing and certainly awesome compared to where he has been on this to date.

Given how disappointed he has been previously, I think it's good to be positive whenever we get the chance. The machining God's don't always favour us. Let's take the sunshine and be happy whenever we can.
 
@140mower many thanks, that pulley cover looks like it belongs. And will keep oil off the wall and kids' fingers safer.

Got all my bit depths prepped so I can slot them back into the assembly sequence and try making something for real again.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260116_031958634.jpg
    PXL_20260116_031958634.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20260116_031954579.jpg
    PXL_20260116_031954579.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20260116_031916035.jpg
    PXL_20260116_031916035.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Its sounding like you are getting good concentricity from your MT spindle socket which is great news. I was wondering out loud if the 3" Harlingen chucks I bought with 5C adapter also had an MT3 backplate version but unless I missed, unfortunately not. Too bad, that would give you some plug & play options that similarly side steps the spindle thread/back stop issue. These chuck (unlike some similar clones) are pretty decent TIR. Come in 3J, 4J independent & 4J scroll. But hopefully your ER can do a lot of pen work for you.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5488_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5488_edited-1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5491_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5491_edited-1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2
Picked up this steel 1-1/2" split collar in the hope I can fit it and turn it down to a suitable size and adhere it in some way. Eventually.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260117_004855173.jpg
    PXL_20260117_004855173.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20260117_004911262.jpg
    PXL_20260117_004911262.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Hi Michael

I see two maybe three problems with this, first you are going to have to turn the inside to a size that will fit over the threads on your spindle, this may or may not impact the clamp screw, second you are going to need to turn down the outside to a diameter that will allow the chuck backplate register to fit and sit on, this probably means that you will not be able to access the clamp screw after its turned down !

If it were me doing this job, I would make sure that I could close the ring enough to give you enough meat to turn it down to fit and then weld the gap closed. At least then you would stand a chance of getting what you need.
 
Back
Top