• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

@jcdammeyer @Susquatch @BaitMaster I appreciate the support, thank you. If I had more machine capacity and knowledge I wouldn't be quite so frustrated, but starting with what now feels like a (near) lemon that can't be self-resolved is annoying. I'd better make some damn perfect pens by the end of this hahaha.
I was not in this exact situation, as the lathe that I had was still a great lathe, just not the right fit for me. I sold it to a forum member and he’s doing work with it and loves it…. He had a south bend before that one.

Now, one thought train I went down, when I decided to spend a whole lot of money on upgrading my lathe to what amounts to my “dream” lathe, was, do I want to spend my time messing with this thing and upgrading it slowly and painstakingly to maybe be able to do what I need it to do?

Or do I want to buy a lathe I don’t have to mess with, that does all I need it to do for what I want it to do, is in fantastic shape/new/almost new, will last me the rest of my life if taken care of, and has every accessory that I need?

I decided that I no longer wanted to spend a bunch of time working on the lathe. I wanted to have a lathe that I could work on other stuff with.

Some guys love working on machines, rebuilding them, making them tick. They buy a machine for the “project”.

I have plenty of projects I would rather work on that don’t involve working on my lathe.

For me, at this point in my life, I want a solid lathe that I can depend on so that I can work on other stuff, not a lathe that’s an ongoing project.

So I spent a lot of money. Now I’m very pleased with my lathe, and turn out projects with it no problem.

There’s a mix of people on the forum, some have newer machines, some have older that need fixed. One path isn’t nobler then the other, depends what you want to spend your time on.

For me, it was a super clear answer.

Food for thought.
 
@BaitMaster no, that's a great point. I was originally looking at new machines. But money being what it is, that wasn't (and isn't) possible. I wouldn't be opposed to an replacement with a different machine, but I can't afford it.

As for this specific machine, I didn't know enough about what to look for when buying it, and I thought it was less abused than I know now. Were I to try and replace it now, I would be able to make a smarter purchase.
 
Golem, you have shown the patience of Job.
At this point You need a complete headstock IMHO.
Lotsa good used ones can be sourced.
But it would have to be a known un-doctored up one.
Is the rest of the lathe in good enough shape to invest in that?
You’re pretty far down the rabbit hole as it is now.
 
@BaitMaster no, that's a great point. I was originally looking at new machines. But money being what it is, that wasn't (and isn't) possible. I wouldn't be opposed to an replacement with a different machine, but I can't afford it.

As for this specific machine, I didn't know enough about what to look for when buying it, and I thought it was less abused than I know now. Were I to try and replace it now, I would be able to make a smarter purchase.
Ok. Ya, it’s a tough go. The guys around here will go to great lengths to help you get that thing running.

A caring bunch they are.

Something like this would likely work for you:


On for 2800$.

But if you don’t have the money, then that’s settled.

I know that Nickel and diming is big thing too, where you spend more in the long run piece by piece then if you had made one big purchase.

Good luck.
 
Yeah something like that is what I was originally looking into. If I could recoup my costs on this machine I could conceivably get that in some months. However now that I know the issues with this machine... I wouldn't sell it for what I paid for it (and the hassle of selling it of course). Again, sunk cost, nickel and diming, etc etc.

I know the "smart" answer, but I'm resistant to it.
 
Last edited:
Yeah something like that is what I was originally looking into. If I could recoup my costs on this machine I could conceivably get that in some months. However know the issues with this machine... I wouldn't sell it for what I paid for it (and the hassle of selling it of course). Again, sunk cost, nickel and diming, etc etc.

I know the "smart" answer, but I'm resistant to it.
I was too. LOL.

It is what it is. Mull it over.

I can say looking back: do I regret going wayyyyy higher on price then I originally wanted to for a lathe that does everything I want and is in like new condition?

No. It’s awesome to have a lathe I can just USE.
 
A metal ring that will just slide over the threads and be epoxied/glued in place may do the job. Light machining in place on the lathe after. This could allow you to use the lathe while looking for a new/used spindle and increasing your machining skills too.
Soft soldering would have much the same result, and either can be removed with some heat. The glued in place only would need heat to remove, or even machined off.
There are some very amazing thread locker and other compounds made by Locktite, Permatex, and others.
Welding/brazing maybe out of the question as there could be warping resulting, causing more problems.
I would not modify backplates either as use on other machines will not be enabled.
Another few thoughts to add to many others
 
A metal ring that will just slide over the threads and be epoxied/glued in place may do the job. Light machining in place on the lathe after. This could allow you to use the lathe while looking for a new/used spindle and increasing your machining skills too.
Soft soldering would have much the same result, and either can be removed with some heat. The glued in place only would need heat to remove, or even machined off.
There are some very amazing thread locker and other compounds made by Locktite, Permatex, and others.
Welding/brazing maybe out of the question as there could be warping resulting, causing more problems.
I would not modify backplates either as use on other machines will not be enabled.
Another few thoughts to add to many others
I have some potential collars arriving tomorrow on fact!
 
Last edited:
However now that I know the issues with this machine... I wouldn't sell it for what I paid for it (and the hassle of selling it of course).

I admire your ethics. I am the same way. I could never take advantage of a stranger let alone a forum member. When I sell, I sell as is with a list of known issues. Ideally, that's how I would like to be treated so that's what I do with others. Not everyone feels the same way. I accept that but don't admire it.

Keep in mind that there are at least 6 kinds of buyers.

1. Guys who want a working machine with guarantees and all ready to go.

2. Guys who just want a huge deal.

3. Guppies

4. Guys who like a project machine and are looking for a price that works for them.

5. Flippers

6. Parts buyers

When you sell, target the market you want to sell to. Most likely 4 in your case. Ya, you could sell to 2 or 3 but will you sleep well afterward.

For me, the key is to find the right buyer for the right fair price.

Then take that money, add your education cost to it, and the incremental value, and then buy what you really want for what its worth.

Of course, you already know what you need to do to recondition your machine, and you have a rough idea of what that will cost. So that sets the bar for the other alternatives.

There is no harm in pursuing improvements in whatever form they arise. Any that you make will only close the gap between what you have and what you want. Perhaps even surpassing the gap.

I do have another piece of advice. Impatience is not a virtue. Neither is hesitation.
 
With all respect, you need a complete good headstock, yours is not usable even with a new spindle. But you knew that.,
At this point a used headstock would probably be twice $$ of a single spindle.
But there’s shipping.
And you need to know it’s in good shape before you purchase it.
You’ve had some bad luck.
Can you spend $$ for that BusyBee lathe without spending the next month on the couch?
Good Luck whatever direction you choose.
 
Pretty easy work around would be to get a 4jaw/backplate.

If it won't fit over the enlarged portion behind the register similar to @DavidR8 chuck you tested, then machine that small portion down on the spindle the same size as the register.

You now have a usable lathe and once you're comfortable you can make a bushing to install/machine in place on the spindle.

Even less cost option is use the 3jaw and turn concentric split collets for whatever parts you're gripping. Your runout issue is now gone.

Another option is even tho the mt3 bore looks ugly, return the thread on collect chuck you bought and get an mt3 collet chuck and see what the runout is on that.
 
Pretty easy work around would be to get a 4jaw/backplate.

If it won't fit over the enlarged portion behind the register similar to @DavidR8 chuck you tested, then machine that small portion down on the spindle the same size as the register.

You now have a usable lathe and once you're comfortable you can make a bushing to install/machine in place on the spindle.

Even less cost option is use the 3jaw and turn concentric split collets for whatever parts you're gripping. Your runout issue is now gone.

Another option is even tho the mt3 bore looks ugly, return the thread on collect chuck you bought and get an mt3 collet chuck and see what the runout is on that.
Yup, my first idea was a 4-jaw chuck and a square ER32 collet block.
Second idea was an MT3 collet chuck
 
One of the pieces of tooling I bought for my 9A was an MT3 3 jaw chuck (so it wouldn't unthread while running in reverse). Made a drawbar to hold it in place. Similar to this one. Maybe this is a solution that you can make work to get some cash coming in?
 
Back
Top