• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

With many thanks to @DavidR8 for help with the storage box, I have a gear inventory. I suspect several on the machine will fill out some of those slots and I might do that just so I can get it all cleaned up. The ones laid out on the bench don't fit and are likely from ????

Haven't found a clear listing of the stock gears yet but I'm guessing I have some mix of stock, random for unknown purposes, which I hope to figure out.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251120_182102488.jpg
    PXL_20251120_182102488.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20251120_182116499.jpg
    PXL_20251120_182116499.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20251120_182100320.jpg
    PXL_20251120_182100320.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
With many thanks to @DavidR8 for help with the storage box, I have a gear inventory. I suspect several on the machine will fill out some of those slots and I might do that just so I can get it all cleaned up. The ones laid out on the bench don't fit and are likely from ????

Haven't found a clear listing of the stock gears yet but I'm guessing I have some mix of stock, random for unknown purposes, which I hope to figure out.
Since @DavidR8 has so much time on his hands what you do is measure the diameter and width of all those gears and have him make you a custom box for that set.

Reward him with a Shaper or CNC router that can do a 1/2 size sheet. He'll appreciate it.😉
 
Golem, the 2 large gears are from my ‘36 415 workshop lathe with the single arm banjo.
The small gears are change gears i’ve aquired for my ‘38 415 workshop lathe with the double arm banjo. I bought these piecemeal for threads i needed to make over the years.
I hope this takes some of the mystery out of your gears.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2078.jpeg
    IMG_2078.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2080.jpeg
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
@Model Citizen yes that sheds much light, thank you!

On reading the manuals, it seems like the single banjo is capable of the majority of mid-sized TPIs while the double banjo is necessary for the finer and coarser ranges beyond that. Did I parse that properly?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20251120-174548.png
    Screenshot_20251120-174548.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Honestly, i’ve never used the single arm banjo.
Although i’ve used my workshop lathes for many years & many jobs, i’m no expert.
When you get used to change gear lathes, it’s really no big deal changing the gear train.
YMMV, cheers
 
Ilion wicks acquired. A few oil pumps acquired. Spindle oil exchange underway. I think we're nearly ready to start servicing. Once the drive assembly gets sorted out I can figure out what belt I need too.
 
Ilion wicks acquired. A few oil pumps acquired. Spindle oil exchange underway. I think we're nearly ready to start servicing. Once the drive assembly gets sorted out I can figure out what belt I need too.
I am hoping to be on the island on Monday morning, not sure how long I will stay for this time, but am hoping to spend roughly 50% of my time over there for the foreseeable future......
Just having a physical altercation with the harmonic balancer bolts on the vw. Might be another jeep trip. 🙄
 
I am hoping to be on the island on Monday morning, not sure how long I will stay for this time, but am hoping to spend roughly 50% of my time over there for the foreseeable future......
Just having a physical altercation with the harmonic balancer bolts on the vw. Might be another jeep trip. 🙄
I miss my old VW. I highly doubt I'll be able to make it to Nanaimo on Monday, so likely best we plan on a future trip.
 
Back
Top