• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Interesting so definitely added after the fact. Actually, I wonder if there is even a port there normally, looks like it's intended for way oil

Zirc fittings hold against pressure so somebody might have figured it would be a good way to force oil in there. You would need to make an oil gun that creates pressure and put a female zirk on it.
 
Yes. That is in my opinion a great modification, puts the oil under the saddle pushing out any contaminants rather than the other way around.

I'm not sure I know what you guys are saying?

Are you suggesting keeping the grease zirks and modifying a ball oiler gun to fit them?

Or changing the zirks to ball oilers?

For the record, I'm not against either option. I just don't know what is being agreed to here.
 
Either option is better than original, just don't use grease. I am thinking that in the pile of stuff should be the answer. The original owner was using something to oil it.....

Can I be honest?

I hate ball oilers. Even gravity oil cups are better.

Zirc fittings and a female fitting on the oil gun might be just the ticket.

I also confess to wiping some oil on the ways with my fingers to keep the ends oiled too.
 
Aye my takeaway was get an appropriate fitting on whatever oil pump I pick up for my way oil.

Eg: https://www.mcmaster.com/product/1091K64

I do a crap load of greasing on my farm. FWIW, I recommend a manual release fitting.


The other kind sometimes break the nipple off or don't seal properly.

Fittings like the ALI one I linked above can be had on Amazon but they are typically $50.
 
I'm not sure I know what you guys are saying?

Are you suggesting keeping the grease zirks and modifying a ball oiler gun to fit them?

Or changing the zirks to ball oilers?

For the record, I'm not against either option. I just don't know what is being agreed to here.
The same nipples are used for both, it is just that you need an oil gun. I have two oil guns, both came with the press drill and the lathe. Though for what its worth, they both leak like sieves. It doesn't matter which way up you stand them. Injecting oil through a cloth helps reducing leakage !
 
Though for what its worth, they both leak like sieves. It doesn't matter which way up you stand them. Injecting oil through a cloth helps reducing leakage !

If a Zirc male and female coupling leaks, something is wrong. Mine will all hold several thousand psi and not leak.

Now, if you are trying to use a ball oiler gun fitting on a male zirc fitting, then all bets are off.
 
Actually quite a common oil gun port, certainly on all the lathes that I've come across !
It is also unfortunately a standard grease nipple...

See "Adams" oiler.
The headstock has two of these. All other fittings are just open ports.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251119_144452199.jpg
    PXL_20251119_144452199.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Just lift the little lever on the top...... I am going to trust that the fellow before you has the drip rate dialed in, so likely no need to turn the thumbwheel to adjust flow. He put a lot of time, effort, and thought into the preservation of your lathe. If it's been sitting a long time, turn them on five or so minutes before you start so it gets that first drop of oil. It's literally a drip oiler, a drop here, and a drop there, it doesn't flow much at all, I think mine are a drop a minute or so. An infrared thermometer is handy in the shop for checking bearing temps etc on the fly, as long as temps are down, you're doing fine. They are handy in the car too. Walk around the car in the gas station and shoot all four hubs on a road trip.....bearings and brakes.....
 
Back
Top