• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Work table/bench

trlvn

Ultra Member
Hi:

I want to get a work bench or table to dedicate to metal working. No worrying about spilled oil, solvents, etc. Disassemble, clean and assemble stuff. Layout and sharpening, etc, etc. I definitely want some storage underneath. I've got 2 grinders and and a 1X42 sander where normally only one needs to be out at a time. Ideally, my arbor press will go on one end.

Not sure about standing v. sitting height. I'm leaning towards having a standing height bench (34" high +/-) and a tall-ish bar stool for when I want to sit and work on something.

For size, I've been planning something in the 30 X 60 inch work surface vicinity. The short edge would go against the wall. I need to finish my reno and move my mill/drill into the basement before I can be certain about the size. Nonetheless, the thread about a "Free to a good home - Work table" caused me to look at Princess Auto. And saw this:

images

For $300, it ticks a lot of checkmarks. I'm not crazy about the 'lip' around 3 sides but I could probably live with it. (It limits my choices for the arbor press.) It looks sturdy enough that I could attach my small vise to one corner for filing and such. At 31 X 61 X 33-3/4 it is probably the maximum size I can fit.

Anyone have one of these or suggestions for better alternatives? Other thoughts?

Craig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well it's a different approach but one that is built to last and I have never regretted it. Built out of dimensional lumber with 3/16" steel plate on the top with rounded over edges in the front and inside corner on the back forming a 6" apron up on the back wall. Height is 38" and I wish I would have built it 16368381578263689571653854515212.jpg higher. I built another similar bench (without the steel top) and it had to be quite a bit taller (44" or so) and I really like that height.

trlvn

Ultra Member
44 inches high? Are you really tall? That's 10 inches above what I was thinking! I'm about 5-11.

I'm leaning towards buying a pre-made item. (I'm going to search Kijiji and the local online auctions.) I tend to over-design woodworking projects and take forever to complete them. But it is a possibility.

Did you bend the front edge of your 3/16" steel? How?

Craig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
44 inches high? Are you really tall? That's 10 inches above what I was thinking! I'm about 5-11.

I'm leaning towards buying a pre-made item. (I'm going to search Kijiji and the local online auctions.) I tend to over-design woodworking projects and take forever to complete them. But it is a possibility.

Did you bend the front edge of your 3/16" steel? How?

Craig
No I'm only 6"1 with shoes on, but I find it's much more comfortable to have my work surface at about belly button height.

No I had the plate steel custom cut and bent.

trlvn

Ultra Member
https://www.princessauto.com/en/600-lb-heavy-duty-workbench/product/PA0008873259
For $300, it ticks a lot of checkmarks. I'm not crazy about the 'lip' around 3 sides but I could probably live with it. (It limits my choices for the arbor press.) It looks sturdy enough that I could attach my small vise to one corner for filing and such. At 31 X 61 X 33-3/4 it is probably the maximum size I can fit.
To follow up...this work table was on display at Princess Auto when I was there yesterday. Maybe this particular one was poorly assembled but it is NOT sturdy, especially on the long axis. With light hand pressure it lurched back and forth by 1/4" or more. Yuck.

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
View attachment 18277View attachment 18278Four rims and axle shafts, two chunks of frame rail and a piece of plywood. You can disassemble with one person and move it, plus you can cut the plywood to suit. Worked out to a 38” height, which is comfortable for me.

As the saying goes..... GO BIG OR GO HOME!

My kinda bench @Chicken lights!! At my height I like a tall work bench too. But I often wish I had a bench another foot taller still! Especially when working on tiny stuff. I need to get close to see well, and I don't like bending over!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
To follow up...this work table was on display at Princess Auto when I was there yesterday. Maybe this particular one was poorly assembled but it is NOT sturdy, especially on the long axis. With light hand pressure it lurched back and forth by 1/4" or more. Yuck.

Craig
A flimsy table like that would make me cringe too. But sometimes a bench like that can be solid gold. If the bones are there, you can offer them half price (or whatever), bring it home, and rebuild it to whatever standard you want. I like @Brent H 's suggestion, but I've also used 2x4's wide side up and sandwiched like butcher block under a solid top to make a fantastic bench. There is a reason woodworkers love their butcher block work benches.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

Craig

Could have told you that in advance, I've never seen any store bought work table (short of multi thousand dollar fab tables) that is actually solid.

Wood frame is easier to build but metal is certainly nice if you're working with other metal more. For top my main bench it is just doubled up 3/4" plywood with 1 side good on top covered in spar urethane, it's held up very well for the last 5 years but I can replace the tops if they ever get destroyed. Fluids aren't a problem with the spar urethane, it's had quite literally every chemical on it (cutting fluids, penetrating fluid, brake clean, grease, you name it) and just wipes right up. My wall mounted folding metal bench that I built has a 3/16" plate on top with 1.5"x0.100 square tube frame and is quite solid for portable power tools (disc sander, cutoff saw, portaband table and so forth), grinding, etc. where I needed a surface that isn't flammable, though I wouldn't use it as a heavy duty welding table.

SparWeb

The one thing (and definitely the only thing) that the guy who lived at my house before me left behind that was really good was a pair of work benches in the garage. The two are identical, sturdy as hell, and barely jiggle when sawing steel stock in the vise.
A bit like DPittman's picture (without the drawers - but I like that idea) made of dimensional lumber with reinforced joints. Mine also has a shelf near floor level that makes them much more rigid.

I also have a rolling table of a similar, but lighter design. The top is a full 4x8 sheet of double-ply 1/2" MDF so it isn't light, either! Every few years I discard the top sheet and put on a fresh one.

neer724

Hi:

I want to get a work bench or table to dedicate to metal working. No worrying about spilled oil, solvents, etc. Disassemble, clean and assemble stuff. Layout and sharpening, etc, etc. I definitely want some storage underneath. I've got 2 grinders and and a 1X42 sander where normally only one needs to be out at a time. Ideally, my arbor press will go on one end.

Not sure about standing v. sitting height. I'm leaning towards having a standing height bench (34" high +/-) and a tall-ish bar stool for when I want to sit and work on something.

For size, I've been planning something in the 30 X 60 inch work surface vicinity. The short edge would go against the wall. I need to finish my reno and move my mill/drill into the basement before I can be certain about the size. Nonetheless, the thread about a "Free to a good home - Work table" caused me to look at Princess Auto. And saw this:

images

Anyone have one of these or suggestions for better alternatives? Other thoughts?

Craig

Just got the princess auto flyer for next week (dec 7-19) this table is on sale for $177 (save $122)

trlvn

Ultra Member
Just got the princess auto flyer for next week (dec 7-19) this table is on sale for $177 (save $122)
Thank you! At that price, I could think of it like a kit of raw materials. Over 40% off. Tempting...

I can't see the flyer on line yet. Is this a close-out price?

Craig

neer724

Thank you! At that price, I could think of it like a kit of raw materials. Over 40% off. Tempting...

I can't see the flyer on line yet. Is this a close-out price?

Craig
No it looks like just their weekly special price. Here is a pic of the flyer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 9

trlvn

Ultra Member
I bought the Princess Auto table a few weeks ago. I did search Kijiji and the online auctions for several weeks prior to that. Never found anything that was the right dimensions.

BTW, I refuse to have anything to do with Facebook.

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
BTW, I refuse to have anything to do with Facebook.

I hear you. I resisted Facebook till last year and really only joined for access to Facebook Marketplace. Then I discovered that they wouldn't give me marketplace till I proved I was a real person by posting socially. After I got access, I stopped using it for social purposes.