• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Woo hoo! It's a cold snap!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
At my old house, I ran a pair of 10 gauge wires from the garage to the basement to run a big inverter and the sump pump using the car/truck parked just outside the garage with jumper cables. Didn't give a rats ass about the efficiency or the emissions. Emergencies are emergencies. Never had to worry about batteries going dead.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
No internet other than my phone since I've not yet run an extension cord to that part of the house.
Need to decide what to do next. Maybe shovel snow.:rolleyes:

It's from a work project. The original test set from about 6 years ago. Wires to inverters are too thin. Should add 3rd inverter. Should wire it into an automatic transfer switch for furnace, fridge, freezer and a lighting circuit.
Total of 3kW AC isn't a lot for a house from the 60's now on 200A service.
In the past I also had this sitting in front of my office windows.

OnanGenSet.jpg

Onan Diesel Genset. When AC Power failed the system would continue to run on batteries until the State of Charge of the batteries reached a specific set point. In the case of the Lead Acid 50%, Lithium 5% and then the generator would automatically start. Charge the batteries to full and then shut off and run the system on batteries again. Rinse and repeat.

The issue with the lead acid and the reason for changing over to Lithium was that you can bring a lead acid up to about 85% SOC really quickly. But after that the final stage of charging can take hours. The diesel didn't like running under that low a load and would carbon up and have other issues.

OTOH, the Lithiums could go down to 5% SOC and would reach 95% to 98% SOC with full current requested by the BMS and then about 30 minutes later they'd be balanced and at 100% SOC. So more expensive with initial purchase price but cheaper overall.

20230213_095750.jpg
The week before the cold snap I was down to shirt sleeves digging in the rain leaders for my rain water recovery system. I tore down 4 fence panels and pulled the posts ahead of a long needed garden shed. I am tying in the chicken coop and the garden shed to the system and have stubbed out a pipe for a future 2 car garage. I hand dug 70 of 110 feet as the excavator is a couple hours away and I wanted to avoid any extra damage to the lawn etc. Besides, exercise is good for you, right?
....... Hence the happiness of a cold snap. :p

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well they shut off the power in the Dover area 8:30 to 3:30 for maintenance so now the alarm chimes every 5 minutes to get you to change a frigin battery I guess it’s a good day to go and check out the pawn shops for tools.

SPRING IS COMING! First crocus flowers are showing at my place over past couple days. Also some migratory birds like Robins and Red-winged Blackbirds have returned. Winter storm predicted for tomorrow tho. :confused: Oh well, thats weather for you in Canada eh!

DSC_0112 (2).JPG

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I love those big yellow crocuses! Ours are smaller purple ones. But nothing up here yet. They are so beautiful! If you ever decide to dig them up, I'll happily give them a home!

Several different kinds of woodpeckers are making nest holes (including a gorgeous pair of redheads), the Robin's are here in flocks, the golden eyes and wood ducks are on the pond, the red-wings are claiming territory, some grackles have disappeared, the male ground hogs are on the prowl, a buck cotton tail was chasing a doe around the yard, and my bride has got that hungry look in her eye. Spring is just 11 days away.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No signs of spring here, except for the storm they predict for tomorrow.:rolleyes: Wind has been out of the east for the last few days, never a good sign.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
No signs of spring here, except for the storm they predict for tomorrow.:rolleyes: Wind has been out of the east for the last few days, never a good sign.
nothing good comes from the east :p

Do you ever get over to Davidson to that little restaurant at the J? Keepers?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup the forecast for here is looking grim also. I just wheeled out the 40+ year old JD snowblower I got from @kevin.decelles and got it in the warm shop for tommorows snowfall!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Haven't stopped in Davidson for a year i guess, usually go over that way if heading to Regina and the ferry isn't running on the other route.
It’s a good hiding spot, always has parking and it’s quiet. Unless you know a better way if I’m heading to ToonTown or Edmonton I always bounce to Regina then up 11

Used to be a good little restaurant too but the last couple times weren’t great, I was curious if you knew if they changed hands at the restaurant

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
nothing good comes from the east :p

Do you ever get over to Davidson to that little restaurant at the J? Keepers?
The joke was that the A and W made bank from divorced couples meeting there to hand off the kids.
Break up.
Move out of town. Regina to Saskatoon or vice versa.
Meet in Davidson cause it's kinda halfway.
BIL did it for years.