• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Wire EDM machine

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Stumbled onto this video. Even if you never want to build one some of the techniques are interesting.
And he gets his deionized water from Cdn. Tire.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I have had several projects use wire EDM vendors.
That is all they do, for decades, to derive the proper process arrangements.

Live and learn, that is all we can do.
Hopefully the trials do not become ’too’ expensive.
LOL

gerritv

Gerrit
A nice mechanical build but their spark generator was all wrong. I offered advice, as did several other hobby-level experts such as plasmaboog but still waiting on an update. Emails to them get no response.

I want to build one but until I see an affordable generator beyond the very simple rc network I am not starting.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
A nice mechanical build but their spark generator was all wrong. I offered advice, as did several other hobby-level experts such as plasmaboog but still waiting on an update. Emails to them get no response.

I want to build one but until I see an affordable generator beyond the very simple rc network I am not starting.
Somewhere in my magazine archives, I think it was Model Engineer's Workshop, there was an arcticle where someone built an EDM machine. Mostly for removing broken studs from small engines. His power supply, IIRC, was fairly complex.

Edit: I keep forgetting that magazines and usegroups are no longer the place for development. Youtube seems to be the place now to learn how to do something and no need to ask others. A bit more research and this web site showed up.

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I first learned about wire EDM when I worked at ASM FICO Trim & Form in The Netherlands. They had machines there that created the punches and dies to trim the leads and the anti-static shorting strip (called a draw bar) from around the device. The tools had very narrow fingers to punch between the IC leads.
EDM-Example-1.jpg
This gives an example of just how fine the EDM made the tool and die. Oh and since in the row of machines just before the final stamping by the 30T press we had a laser marker. They put my Dutch address on this lead frame for me.
EDM-Example-2.jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have those magazines showing how to make the edm for bolts and was wondering if it could be updated for current electronics.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have those magazines showing how to make the edm for bolts and was wondering if it could be updated for current electronics.
I sanctioned (funded) a build of an edm last year. My partner in crime was given the book by langlois and noted the same thing — dated components. The final product cost me 180cdn and was built with an arduino & some capacitor banks. Fundamentally it “works” but needs fine tuning.

I think skies the limits

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Construction of an EDM was also a four part series in MEW. Issues 168 to 172. I'm missing #169.
Here's the first page from #168. I'm pretty sure the Robert Langlois series was also published in Home Shop Machinist. I'll have to look.

Attachments

• MEW-168-EDM.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I sanctioned (funded) a build of an edm last year. My partner in crime was given the book by langlois and noted the same thing — dated components. The final product cost me 180cdn and was built with an arduino & some capacitor banks. Fundamentally it “works” but needs fine tuning.

I think skies the limits
Got any pictures?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
C$3,000

326049727_5414802095290741_3175717447342357965_n.jpg

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Yes, BAXEDM is great. Except his generator is >2900Eu's :-(

My sense from his narrative is the that generator is a bloody hard bit of engineering to get right and he was doing a good deed in making it available that us mere mortals. I really have no idea how true that really is, or how much of a sales pitch it is.

Does anyone pay that? I'd probably be a buyer $700-$800 but 4200 cdn? Even if I could wrap my head around it, I feel likes its too big a commitment to a one man band's technology, i.e. support, service parts etc in the future.

I bought at the Chris Bell auction his controller as per the Robert Langois sinker EDM design. Chris was part of a group local to Robert each of whom built one, I gather before the article as the very same controller below makes a cameo in the article. The mechanics are largely 3D printed. I thought I'd posted this before, you but you can;t search "EDM"! Never met Chris, but respect is workmanship a great deal.

The EDM works well enough and saved me once with a broken tap. Not having worked through the electronics, what did you guys find was lacking?

Its set up on my BCA jig borer, replaces the spindle and the tank sits on the table, Slab of cold rolled, 3D printed parts and some cheapo linears rails and I'm burnin' baby :D

bca-diy-edm-sinker-3-768x1024.jpg

bca-diy-edm-sinker-6.jpg

bca-diy-edm-sinker-10.jpg

bca-diy-edm-sinker-4.jpg

bca-diy-edm-sinker-15.jpg

gerritv

Gerrit
Jaako Haguland, Plasmaboog and others from the start times of WEDM homebrew are all now using the BAXEDM generator. Jaako and Plasmaboog both had some success and improvements over the years but in the end I suppose they wanted to 'get on with it'. BAXEDM is really targeting retrofits though, of commercial machines that have antiquated or failed eletronics.
Plasmaboog started his journey in order to make/cross out wheels for model locomotives. Has some lovely examples of that.

there are plenty of research papers on what you need for pulse timing and shape, in the end it depends on whether you want speed as well as wire cutting. I am guessing that if/when I start, it will be a generator with variable pulse frequency and duty cycle for an initial kick at it.

and I echo the quality of Chris' workmanship. I have his UPT from that auction; beautifully made and a joy to use.

This guy seems to get very interesting results without the BAXEDM

This guy gets some very cool results using the BAXEDM

Any one have one of these?