• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Wire brushed rust dust.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I was using a wire wheel to brush off some rust from HRS pieces. When I finished there was a definite aura of dust in the air. Should really do this outside.
Anyway, do the tiny rust particles act as a seed to start clean metal rusting? Or is that just an old wives tale?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was using a wire wheel to brush off some rust from HRS pieces. When I finished there was a definite aura of dust in the air. Should really do this outside.
Anyway, do the tiny rust particles act as a seed to start clean metal rusting? Or is that just an old wives tale?
Rust is not a fungus/disease/cancer as many of us think it is. It is a chemical reaction and therefore does not need a seed and is not "contagious "

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Rust is not a fungus/disease/cancer as many of us think it is. It is a chemical reaction and therefore does not as a seed and is not "contagious "
That's what I figured but thought I'd better check. I'd read some where that yhe particles tend to attract moisture and therefore a smooth surface that might not rust is more susceptible. But like all stuff on the internet fake news seems to prevail.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's what I figured but thought I'd better check. I'd read some where that yhe particles tend to attract moisture and therefore a smooth surface that might not rust is more susceptible. But like all stuff on the internet fake news seems to prevail.
Well I believe that they may attract/hold moisture but so does dust and other debris. Basically if the conditions for rust to occur exist it will happen without rust "seed particles" and if rust conditions do not exist rust won't happen even with "rust seed particles "
But I ain't no rust expert either.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think the reason the seed theory has a following is because a smooth surface accumulates condensation slower than a rough surface or one with dust or rust particles on it. The condensation droplets then allows the rust process to occur. The result is surface rust around the rust particles which leads one to believe the particles caused the rust. All they really did was provide a better location for condensation to form.

If you keep the air dry and the surface oiled, a bit of rust in the air won't do any harm.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
<except> rust from steel or iron that comes in contact with stainless steel can mark the stainless. We always segregate tools used on steel from tools used on stainless. The stainless will only be very minor surface marks if it’s just touch contact, but scratched stainless from contaminated wire brushes, sanding disks, even wrenches will gouge stainless enough that we have to pickle the stainless to remove any microscopic imbedded rust.

Perry

Ultra Member
Maybe the seed idea comes from the OCD car cleaning guys.

If you ever owned a white car and take a very close look at the clear coat you will surely find small rust spots. (Even on a brand new car) These are small pieces of iron that get trapped in (On the surface of the clear coat) the clear coat and start to rust. (This happens on all colors of cars, just easier to see on the white.) Prior to waxing a lot of people will "clay bar" the car to remove these impurities.

Lots of people believe cars delivered by rail will have more iron in the clear coat. I would have to agree with this from personal experience. I also believe that if you do not address the iron impurities, that these spots will be the spot where rust will start on your car. The clear coat is broken down.

It's interesting to see that these impurities can been seen in/on protective plastic "tape" coverings on the leading edges of cars. Also on plastic body moldings that have been painted and clear coated. From what I have seen, only the rust spots that sit on the clear coat over a metal surface will eventually become a corrosion issue on a vehicle if left.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you ever owned a white car and take a very close look at the clear coat you will surely find small rust spots.

This is absolutely true. I was involved in the change to add a plastic film to new cars to protect them from rust particles falling onto the new paint during shipping.

Another similar problem is bug droppings. Not good to park under a tree.

Totally agree on the stainless comments above too.

Amazing how much info comes out of asking a simple question.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
you ever owned a white car and take a very close look at the clear coat you will surely find small rust spots,........... Prior to waxing a lot of people will "clay bar" the car to remove these impurities.

I owned a nice shiny WHITE welding truck for a couple years.....I had to clay bar that thing almost monthly, the grinding dust would settle on it throughout the day and yep little rust spots everywhere...and like you said even on the strategically placed 3m film, but you couldn't clay bar that off

So moral of the story, keep grinding away from vehicles if you like the paint job

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I owned a nice shiny WHITE welding truck for a couple years.....I had to clay bar that thing almost monthly, the grinding dust would settle on it throughout the day and yep little rust spots everywhere...and like you said even on the strategically placed 3m film, but you couldn't clay bar that off

So moral of the story, keep grinding away from vehicles if you like the paint job
That and the mirrors/glass, people never think of where the sparks from a gas ax or grinder go on job sites. Easy way to ruin mirrors is to hit them with hot sparks

That and the mirrors/glass, people never think of where the sparks from a gas ax or grinder go on job sites. Easy way to ruin mirrors is to hit them with hot sparks
yup!
Glazer by trade.

The amount of times we’ve had to replace whole walls of brand new glass with backcharges ranging from 15k for a couple pieces. 25-50k, and one that was 75% of the buildings glass and I heard the glass alone was over 100k

Staggering how often it happens after you warn people and tell them it’ll cost them thousands, show them the damage and take photos of them damaging it, and inform the GC. They still do it and cry about it.

:/

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
tile is another one that sparks ruin

i obviously avoid doing anything near glass, to much work protecting it, to much risk $$$. But when it does happen, pictures, lots and lots of pictures, the number of times i/we have been blamed for prior glass damage, or glass damage in an area that i have never even worked in is staggering, so those pictures of the steel studders with their chop saw set up 5 ft in front of a window have saved me/we mega bucks in the past

there have been times i have gone in to repair other contactors work, and been delayed hours waiting for someone with authority to witness the already existing glass damage before pulling out a tape measure, like @Redneck_Sophistication said, that stuff is mega bucks, better off to stay home than to ruin a bunch of glass

im not sure why its not something thats covered in trade school, if you use a grinder, a welder, anything that makes a spark, you can cause mega bucks worth of unintentional damage in no time

5ft would be a joy. I warned steel framers on a job they said they would move.

All they did was put a 2ft piece of drywall behind their chop saw that was directly against the glass.

One little clean square. Whole wall of rustic glass lol!
, so those pictures of the steel studders with their chop saw set up 5 ft in front of a window have saved me/we mega bucks in the past