• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Why a plastic coating on a weld fixture??

JimGnitecki

I ordered a 90 degree adjustable weld clamp/fixture off Amazon.ca, and noticed later that the device apparently has a plastic coating applied as an anti-rust measure. It seems to me that a plastic coating on a weld fixture has a high probability of melting or at least heating up and giving off potentially harmful hydrocarbon vapors. Even silicone used for baking is only good to 500 degrees or so.

WHY would a manufacturer use a plastic coating?

Jim G

justin1

Super User
The coating is most likely powder coating, and if you are just tacking/stitching with those fixtures it won't really damage it. but it will slowly discolor and yes if you get it hot enough it will burn off and smoke but the smoke coming off it probly isn't much worse then er70s-6 most hobby welders use and is probly less harmful then cheap FCAW wire that hobby welders like to use aswell.

And main reason they probly use powder coating is because it's cheap if they made the same fixture out of let's say stainless or even got it electroplated it would cost easily double. Downside to both is spatter will stick to it so it's almost better to be powder coated.

The best weld fixtures for jigs is high grade aluminum with milled finish nothing sticks to them they can take some heat when you ding them you can just file them flat only real downside is you can't use them to brace a part for welding out. Nothing beats a good strong welding table to tack too. Or tacking in temp bracing.

I use mostly scrap angle iron for making jigs and bessy clamps and a 1-1/4 thick welding table. Can't go wrong with simple. But I can see the appeal of the premade stuff that Amazon sells to diyers it's very cheap and if your only doing small stuff most of the time can make your projects go easier. I got a few house magnets running around and for light tacking and eye ball type squaring.

JimGnitecki

The coating is most likely powder coating, and if you are just tacking/stitching with those fixtures it won't really damage it. but it will slowly discolor and yes if you get it hot enough it will burn off and smoke but the smoke coming off it probly isn't much worse then er70s-6 most hobby welders use and is probly less harmful then cheap FCAW wire that hobby welders like to use aswell.

And main reason they probly use powder coating is because it's cheap if they made the same fixture out of let's say stainless or even got it electroplated it would cost easily double. Downside to both is spatter will stick to it so it's almost better to be powder coated.

The best weld fixtures for jigs is high grade aluminum with milled finish nothing sticks to them they can take some heat when you ding them you can just file them flat only real downside is you can't use them to brace a part for welding out. Nothing beats a good strong welding table to tack too. Or tacking in temp bracing.

I use mostly scrap angle iron for making jigs and bessy clamps and a 1-1/4 thick welding table. Can't go wrong with simple. But I can see the appeal of the premade stuff that Amazon sells to diyers it's very cheap and if your only doing small stuff most of the time can make your projects go easier. I got a few house magnets running around and for light tacking and eye ball type squaring.
Thanks for educating me a bit about this. I had no idea, and really appreciate your taking the time to cover as much as you have! I had already been advised to get some welding magnets, and did so at Princess Auto!

And I feel a lot better now about using that coated fixture. :)

Jim G

justin1

Super User
Np happy to help, for those who haven't been in the welding world or just getting into it. There is a lot that can scare a guy off