Who Ordered This Crap?

More Global Warming.
Watching the BC news is always hilarious after a snowfall.
I get a chuckle when the powers to be start throwing up their arms in the air and demanding to know why traffic doesn't move...... Usually, some dumbass gets up extra early because his tires are crap and needs a little more time, and gets stuck on the first hill.
I think that there should be a graduated license system........ A summer endorsement and a winter endorsement, some people just have no winter driving skills...... Embarrassing watching it on the news.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think that there should be a graduated license system........ A summer endorsement and a winter endorsement, some people just have no winter driving skills...... Embarrassing watching it on the news.....

When my kids started driving, they all knew that they couldn't drive in the winter till we spent some time in a parking lot and the backroads deliberately losing control, learning the limitations, and second guessing the other drivers out there. They all talk about how useful that was.

I wholeheartedly endorse your suggestion!

Bandit

Super User
I think I have heard, in some country's you have to take/do a course in winter driving before you get a liecence.
About 3 more inchs of the snowman crap fell last nite here. And it getting abit warmer, - 16 and to be warmer up coming.
Just think, maybe only 3 1/2 more months of winter!
Anyway we need the moisture.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
You're lucky, around here it's not weather dependent, it's the dumbass powers that be that don't build the infrastructure to keep up with all the building permits they issue.
I don’t know where you live, but for sure that’s one of the issue in the Vancouver area.
Current population: 5.49 million
2024 projected population: 5.65 million
2029 projected population: 6.14 million
source: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/metro-vancouver-population-forecast#

but we only add 47,000 houses per year
source: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/d...its/econ_housing_starts_urban_communities.pdf

I wholly support immigration, I live in a community that is over 50% immigrants and second-generation children of immigrants and it is an amazing place to live, so many cultures to experience and so many new ways to look at things. Considering how hard it is to legally immigrate to Canada, anyone who is willing to jump through all the hoops and qualify has my blessing. But unless the powers that be start making it cheaper and easier to build new housing, and spend the money needed for new schools and infrastructure we‘re always going to be behind the eight ball.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
A favorite topic, soap box please....;)

I have no issue with immigration, however I do with population growth and the economic lie that it is needed. imo NOTHING is better with more people; traffic, scarcity of resources, real estate prices, endless urban sprawl, urban crowding etc. Its ruined the GTA. What were once quaint agricultural communities are now just part of the great paving over of the countryside (and there is no plan, are going to pave to lake Simcoe and London and then say "thats the goal, now we're done"?).

Everything becomes more expensive and crowded and quality of life goes down.....because that it what is should be about: quality of life. Not what the max is before the boat sinks. The focus should be on GDP per capita, NOT GPD. Drive out of Toronto in any direction and observe the urban sprawl, its horrific. Policies creating this pave over sprawl in a high energy consumption nation makes the notion of caring about the environment a bit of joke imo; the only environmental policy that will make a difference is one that encourages arresting and even reversing population growth. In comparison, most of the rest is just "feel good about yourself” stuff.

Last edited:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I have no issue with immigration, however I do with population growth and the economic lie that it is needed
This is a problem that is slowly solving itself, it seems.
From Wikipedia...
Long-term projections indicate that the growth rate of the human population of this planet will continue to slow and that before the end of the 21st century, it will reach zero.[2] Examples of this emerging trend are Japan, whose population is currently (2022–2026) declining at the rate of 0.5% per year,[2] and China, whose population has peaked and is currently (2022 – 2026) declining at the rate of about 0.04%.[2] By 2050, Europe's population is projected to be declining at the rate of 0.3% per year.[2]

Population growth has declined mainly due to the abrupt decline in the global total fertility rate, from 5.3 in 1963 to 2.3 in 2021.[4] The decline in the total fertility rate has occurred in every region of the world and is a result of a process known as demographic transition. To maintain its population, ignoring migration, a country requires a minimum fertility rate of 2.1[5] children per woman (the number is slightly greater than 2 because not all children live to adulthood). However, most societies experience a drastic drop in fertility to well below 2 as they grow more wealthy. The tendency of women in wealthier countries to have fewer children is attributed to a variety of reasons, such as lower infant mortality and a reduced need for children as a source of family labor or retirement welfare, both of which reduce the incentive to have many children. Better access to education for young women, which broadens their job prospects, is also often cited.[6]

Possible consequences of long-term national population decline can be net positive or negative. If a country can increase its workforce productivity faster than its population is declining, the results, in terms of its economy, the quality of life of its citizens, and the environment, can be net positive. If it cannot increase workforce productivity faster than its population's decline, the results can be negative.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Ever since I read "The Great Stork Crash" I began to realize the falsehoods that we have been fed. We don't need immigration, but we need babies, and our children have decided not to have any. One of the reasons for the Ukraine invasion is that Russia is in a serious population decline and they will not be able to fight a war in 20 years, so do it now, this is the last generation they can put through the meat grinder.. Ukraine is in the same state as is china. One of the problems of living longer than governments would like, is the memories of the lies they told us:
All this was predicted to happen by the year 2000:
The Great Famine of 1985 that wipes out 2/3 of humanity.
Global Cooling in the 70's, (I drank the Koo-Aid on that one.)
Global thermonuclear war over dwindling food supplies.
Earth runs out of crude oil, coal and natural gas, in 1962 my teachers talked me out of being a mechanic because in 10 years there would be no fuel.
Overpopulation reduces every person's living space to a 10' x 10' square. ("Professor"Paul and Anne Erlich got a big award and tenure for that whopper.)
Smoke from the unquenchable chemical fires in the Great Lakes blots out the Sun and triggers a millennium-long Ice Age.
Acid rain turns every acre of arable land into deserts. (I started smelling the rotting rats about here as I saw all the new sugar maple growth in onterrible.)
Ozone hole over the Arctic expands until it reaches The South Pole. Skin cancer wipes out all human life.
HIV virus mutates into an airborne pathogen that infects everyone on the planet. (Oh, and it's Gods revenge on Pedi's)
Manhattan will be under water.