Who here has bought KBC branded tooling?

Crankit

Great replies! It's good to see then that they do source manufacturers other than Chinese. I would like to add some larger reamers to my collection soon.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Oh Oh. KBC shipped my drill bits out of MI via FedEx International Ground. Was supposed to be $11 flat rate shipping and I have been charged tax already. I wonder if I'm going to get hit with an importation and brokerage fee?

So much for the back order warning at checkout eh.

Last edited:

Crankit

Oh Oh. KBC shipped my drill bits out of MI via FedEx International Ground. Was supposed to be $11 flat rate shipping and I have been charged tax already. I wonder if I'm going to get hit with an importation and brokerage fee?

You ordered from KBC.ca? They may have drop shipped from MI...if so? they are the importer not you

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anything you ordered through the dot CA website, no worries. Items may originate from all over the place based on inventory - Delta BC, eastern Canada, KBC USA... Thats for them to sort out, not you. In fact its normal to have partial orders arrive at different times just for this reason because they do their best to get as much as they can as quick as they can. The flat fee still applies & there is no duty implications. Its a Canadian order as far as you are concerned. KBC used to ship UPS but I think they are migrating over to Fedex. The odd time some small package will show up Canada Post but I wasn't sure if that was COVID related or what can happen the odd time - you order 10 items, they ship 8 and are now out, so 2 remaining come dribbling in a short while later.

Get in the habit of looking at your packing slip when you get an order. They will show whats included, anything unexpectedly back ordered etc. I find them pretty good to deal with overall.

Return items requires a phone call beforehand. They ask you a series of questions. Obviously is it broken or defective they make it right. But I'm pretty sure you have to return (to Delta) at your expense.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don’t think it even possible to order from KBC.com here in Canada. The system knows where you are (at least I can’t with my devices). When I am in the States (before this virus), I could compare prices because I could get both KBC.ca and KBC.com. Whichever had the best price all in, I would order from.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Vendors know a lot about you just by attempting to place an order - CDN IP address, CDN credit card, probably rustle through your PC cookies & Contacts for good measure LOL. Some sites will allow you to proceed on the order if delivery is to USA address because you are dealing with customs & Nafta forms, not them. I believe Travers is similar but for a while at least, they weren't checking as rigorously & people had some unwelcome surprises. They recommend ordering through the cdn website & that also takes care of CDN prices. You are right though, there are price discrepancies. Whether that's tariff related or inventory or other issues who knows. I just ordered something off amazon dot com that was cheaper than identical item via dot ca shipping delivered to my door all fees in. But amazon is an odd duck with resellers & fulfillment.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Anything you ordered through the dot CA website, no worries. Items may originate from all over the place based on inventory - Delta BC, eastern Canada, KBC USA... Thats for them to sort out, not you. In fact its normal to have partial orders arrive at different times just for this reason because they do their best to get as much as they can as quick as they can. The flat fee still applies & there is no duty implications. Its a Canadian order as far as you are concerned. KBC used to ship UPS but I think they are migrating over to Fedex. The odd time some small package will show up Canada Post but I wasn't sure if that was COVID related or what can happen the odd time - you order 10 items, they ship 8 and are now out, so 2 remaining come dribbling in a short while later.

Get in the habit of looking at your packing slip when you get an order. They will show whats included, anything unexpectedly back ordered etc. I find them pretty good to deal with overall.

Return items requires a phone call beforehand. They ask you a series of questions. Obviously is it broken or defective they make it right. But I'm pretty sure you have to return (to Delta) at your expense.
I ordered a few things from Snap On.ca and found out Purolator doesn’t deliver to a PO box
Then, like you’re mentioning, one piece didn’t ship with the main shipment. They said it was being held at the Calgary warehouse. So, since I was going through Calgary I just stopped in to pick it up :D

But I wish there was a way to have things shipped to a PO box, it’s annoying that they can’t

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
In particular I'm wondering if KBC branded drill bits and adjustable reamers are worth looking at.

Thanks,

Craig
I've bought a few tools, bits and reamers. The bits were just rebranded stuff and OK. But I did buy a larger reamer set that arrived damaged. They took the return happily, and then I found the same set on Amazon cheaper.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

1598380099742.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I've bought a few tools, bits and reamers. The bits were just rebranded stuff and OK. But I did buy a larger reamer set that arrived damaged. They took the return happily, and then I found the same set on Amazon cheaper.

Inch or metric reamers? All's I'm seeing on Amazon.ca are metric reamers.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I find KBC is not the best place to buy obvious Asian clone stuff. Its usually the same or very similar items you can find elsewhere at lower cost. Same goes for Travers, usually even moreso. But, sourcing from AliExpress or whatever takes more shipping time & the uncertainty factor is higher. But if you are after a specific tooling brand or size, they are pretty good at getting it to you. I've also found KBC to always be more expensive on Mitutoyo stuff compared to Thomas Skinner. Even when a sale comes on (because typically Mitutoyo extends the sale to all retailers). So just get in the habit of plugging in the PN into various sites to see who has what for how much & factor the all in shipping of course.