Who here has bought KBC branded tooling?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
In particular I'm wondering if KBC branded drill bits and adjustable reamers are worth looking at.

Thanks,

Craig

francist

Super User
I haven’t used those specific tools but I do buy their end mills, taps, and regular reamers. I’m happy enough with them. A lot of their in-house branded stuff is or was TMX out of Poland. Lately I see some of their products have a “KBC” or “KBC USA” choice as well. Not all of them, but I have run across some. I use KBC almost exclusively.

-frank

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hi Craig, for what it's worth I use KBC brand chucking reamers all being below 3/4" dia. Like -frank mentions they appear to come out of Poland, more than satisfied with same. Was looking at KBC's latest flyer and their adjustable reamer set. Interesting reduction from $201.81 to just $121.09 in their pricing! Wonder where they are manufactured? Bill

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist : I have a bunch of the KBC stuff - off the top of my head - I bought the stubby drills and just use them for the mill and they cut very well and accurate. I have a few reamers and a few taps....a few other items but not home to take some pics for you....alas

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist : I have a bunch of the KBC stuff - off the top of my head - I bought the stubby drills and just use them for the mill and they cut very well and accurate. I have a few reamers and a few taps....a few other items but not home to take some pics for you....alas

That's what I needed to know thanks! Looking at getting some stubby drill bits to use on the mill and lathe. Any experience with adjustable reamers in general?

Craig

francist

Super User
My one experience with a Groz was not pleasant and I have shied away from them ever since. Could easily have been me at fault though — I know people who are not fools that use them so they must work.

-frank

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The KBC stub length drills I bought were quite good. Made in Europe. Mine happened to be black oxide. The supplied case was not great I ended up getting a Huot when it came on sale. I'm pretty sure the drills are 135-deg point if that's an issue for you. I would have preferred to match my 120-deg center spot drills but you don't see that as often & 135-deg center drills are even harder to find. I bought a regular set of HSS KBC 118-deg drills a while back on sale with the expressed purpose to dub them for use on brass/bronze etc. They seemed pretty decent too. Not as good as Precision Twist or USA brands, but quite a bit less cost.

Don't have any adjustable reamers. What I do on question mark stuff is just call KBC, they have a way of looking up country of origin. If they are Chinese, well, then at least you know that going into it the deal. Might be ok or maybe not. Travers & other vendors do the same thing with their house brand, it can mean darn near anything depending on the tool.

Anything TMX/Poland is usually very decent quality IMO. I'm seeing some new euro countries on labels now, Serbia for example. Not much actual purchasing history though.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well, I went to order a stubby drill bit set. Website indicates 26 in stock yet when I went to checkout I got a warning that the order could not be fulfilled immediately as the item would be back ordered? Guess I'll wait for a bit before ordering.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I got the stub drills on @PeterT 's recommendation that they worked well - they do and thanks Peter for the heads up. :)

Adjustable reamers are great in certain applications for sneaking up on a bore size, however, they are adjustable and only as good as the operator. We have a very expensive ones at work here and I would not say they are the "oh la la" of fit and finish, but they do work well.

The adjustable reamers will be sized from a max to a min diameter and they ramp up to the max diameter by loosening the backing nut and tightening the advance nut to push the reamer blades up a slope as it were. Most reamers (sized ones) are good for 2 to 6 thou reaming (roughly) I would put the adjustable ones at 1 to 3 thou and you run them by hand. Most come with a tap handle square end. Perhaps other have run them on a spinning machine?

The good thing about the adjustable ones is that they run fine in both metric and imperial ....hahahahaha

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My one experience with a Groz was not pleasant and I have shied away from them ever since. Could easily have been me at fault though — I know people who are not fools that use them so they must work.

-frank

The last Groz item I purchased, a grease gun, was a total fail. I have some other Groz stuff that's not to bad though.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Well, I went to order a stubby drill bit set. Website indicates 26 in stock yet when I went to checkout I got a warning that the order could not be fulfilled immediately as the item would be back ordered? Guess I'll wait for a bit before ordering.

I usually order it regardless, they’ll ship it quickly. Sometimes it is a stocking issue between stores.

The kbc branded stuff is ok, better than busy bee imho, but not premium by any stretch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crankit

First time I ordered from KBC I got some of their branded HSS lathe tooling and it was marked China so I presumed a lot of their stuff was Chinese so now i know much of it is Polish I will give their branded stuff another look

francist

Super User
I think you’ll find there may be some variance. The majority of end mills I’ve got from them in their KBC brand are marked Korea; taps are frequently Bosnia / Herzegovina, and many of the reamers have been TMX from Poland. That said, they all perform well for me but if origin is a primary concern the safe bet would be to ask them first.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
... so now i know much of it is Polish I will give their branded stuff another look...

Frank beat me to it. I was just typing essentially the same...

Well, I'm not quite sure one could count on that. We were talking about specific drills here that happen to be from Europe, but I can think of lots of things under the KBC/house brand label that are typical Chinese you would find anywhere else. That's why I was suggesting if it was something where it mattered to you, maybe best to call them. With a lot of tooling they will specifically say the brand so I'm not entirely clear on why the house brand for certain items (but all the retailers do the same thing).

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The only bad KBC experience I’ve had was with a set of drill bits. Sharp but really brittle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk