• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

who has the best rotary broach plans

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
As the title says, I wish to know who offers the best rotary broach plans for sale or for free?

It would be helpful to know if you've actually made one to the plans you refer to. Bonus if I can make one with only a mill, a lathe and 8" grinder and grinding fixture.

I'll be damned if I buy a small piece of metal from MSC for $60 USD

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
I'm just finishing up a rotary broach. 1-1/2" outer dia, 1/2" shaft, 2mm-10mm x 50mm cutter, dual 6002 ball bearings and one 51102 thrust race. Similar to Hemmingway's version but larger.

Fusion 360 model and drawings available if you're interested.

Rotary Broach Prototype.jpg

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm just finishing up a rotary broach. 1-1/2" outer dia, 1/2" shaft, 2mm-10mm x 30mm cutter, dual 6002 ball bearings and one 51102 thrust race. Similar to Hemmingway's version but larger.

Fusion 360 model available if you're interested.

View attachment 32231
If I wasn't so cheap I would have already bought the Hemmingway kit as I figured they looked the best of the ones I've seen. However, I still haven't for one or the plans as I haven't figured out how to cheaply make or buy the broaches for them yet.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Broaches are easy to make - you will need a spin index or similar on the mill and a means of grinding the relief on the back faces at about 3 degrees accurately. The end of the broach is hollow ground on a 3" wheel, or enough to provide some rake on the cutting edge.

I use 4140 tempered at 200C, O1, or case hardened CRS for most cutting tools.
1678835834002.png

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'm just finishing up a rotary broach. 1-1/2" outer dia, 1/2" shaft, 2mm-10mm x 50mm cutter, dual 6002 ball bearings and one 51102 thrust race. Similar to Hemmingway's version but larger.

Fusion 360 model and drawings available if you're interested.

View attachment 32231

Sure I'd be very interested. Did you want any fee for sharing said plans?

Feel free to send me a pm

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
If I wasn't so cheap I would have already bought the Hemmingway kit as I figured they looked the best of the ones I've seen. However, I still haven't for one or the plans as I haven't figured out how to cheaply make or buy the broaches for them yet.
Do we suffer the same affliction? I have such bad arthritis in my shoulders, spine and elbows I can't get to the wallet in my back pocket

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Don’t know if they are ”the best plans”, but here is the link to the thread where I build my rotary broach…

Are you looking to make one so you can broach the cam locks you are planning on making for the Colchester lathe?

You may find that you need A LOT OF FORCE to broach something as big as that. I suggest you drill the four corners and use an end mill to cut the flats to make your cams.

Here is a link to Slater Tools Rotary Broach Force Table…

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Don’t know if they are ”the best plans”, but here is the link to the thread where I build my rotary broach…

Are you looking to make one so you can broach the cam locks you are planning on making for the Colchester lathe?

You may find that you need A LOT OF FORCE to broach something as big as that. I suggest you drill the four corners and use an end mill to cut the flats to make your cams.

Thanks for the resources.

I'd been considering trying to broach the hole for a cam with a rotary broach but everyone I trust pointed out the need for more force. My brother said we'd broach on the large shop press. I just wanted excuse to make a rotary broach sooner :p

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member

[/URL]
To piggy back on that comment, it's easy to make a quill broach toolbit for simple square corners like that. I have a 3/8" HSS toolbit I ground ground square, then I ground a round on one end to fit in a collet. The cutting face is a simple double clearance angle of about 8-10*. there is no side clearance. I align the broach to a feature, lock the quill brake (small bungee helps), and can nibble away at cleaning up an inside corner a few thou at a time. It goes pretty fast, and if you have a nice flat to register against first, it's very accurate. For a square drive like that you'd be done in no time.

I need to make a couple more smaller ones, but so far my 3/8" was made quickly in a time of need, and has served me well about a dozen times over the years.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I made one with no plans, just kind of winged it.

It’s adjustable in a similar manner to a set tru chuck to account for any tailstock misalignment or broaches of different lengths.

Straight shank so it can be used in mill or lathe. Two angular contact bearings.

I bought a set of hex broaches from a guy in Australia, they were cheaper than any other commercial ones I’ve seen I think it was 3,4,5,6 and 8mm for about $70.

If you really want to make your own broaches you can do it on a mill by running a cup wheel in the spindle. Use a collet block for indexing.

Attachments

• DDA99F28-0A6F-4D5E-9018-B1A89E4299D8.jpeg
    DDA99F28-0A6F-4D5E-9018-B1A89E4299D8.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 9
  • C13DA27F-334D-4710-8B82-ECC1E6415583.jpeg
    C13DA27F-334D-4710-8B82-ECC1E6415583.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 10

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I made one with no plans, just kind of winged it.

It’s adjustable in a similar manner to a set tru chuck to account for any tailstock misalignment or broaches of different lengths.

Straight shank so it can be used in mill or lathe. Two angular contact bearings.

I bought a set of hex broaches from a guy in Australia, they were cheaper than any other commercial ones I’ve seen I think it was 3,4,5,6 and 8mm for about $70.

If you really want to make your own broaches you can do it on a mill by running a cup wheel in the spindle. Use a collet block for indexing.
I saw your build, I didn't know you winged it.

I always like a plan, cause I'm prone to stupid errors brought about by too little experience and inconsistent use of machinery. I'll binge and make a lot but have too long a break between.

hhshermit

I bought the Hemingway kit for the rotary broach. Plans and supplies were excellent and I had no problems making the parts. Tool works great and broaches are not difficult to make. It is great to be able to broach a hex hole for Allen wrenches. I heartily recommend the kit.