Where to get V-Belt which Princess Auto nor Canadian tire have?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So where? I need 5/8 x 40 in and 5/8 x 38. PA magically carries nothing between 36" and 43" (!!!) at least the one near airport. I can order from amazon but it will take few weeks - I guess it comes from China (!)

In Calgary area. Preferably at reasonable price.

Everett

Super User
I got the last set of B belts that my Craftex mill drill needed from Gregg's. They have listings of all their B belts on page Q1 of the catalog. If the outside length is 40 inches, you'll need a B37 though, I ran into trouble with that when re-belting it too. Best to look at the chart and give them a call in the morning.

Hope this helps!

John Conroy

Premium Member
When I needed a matched pair of weird length belts for my lathe I ordered then from the Motion Canada outlet in North Edmonton.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
I've had good luck with Lordco - primarily automotive but they do carry a fair bit of "Industrial" products as well.
They are relatively new to AB but are big in BC (80+ stores there IIRC) and they will source from other stores in a day or 2 if its in their system somewhere. Calgary store is Glendeer Circle IIRC.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I would not buy a V belt from CT, BB, PA etc. One bad experience is enough. Call an industrial supply place, BDI, Motion, Canada Belting, Canada Bearing...whatever there are tons of them. Its not worth the money saved from with the lower end stuff consumer retail sells.

Why? A good V belt is important to smooth running. A bit of variance in the V width will create vibration and shake - as the wider part goes over a pulley the result is as if the belt tightened. This is an intermittent force, pulling the pulleys together, ends up as vibration

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
OK, thanks for all your help guys - I try to check out the places suggested & get me some V-belts for my CNC mill project.

I did not order online as I do not have 100% clear idea of what exact belt lengths I need. I know 40 and 36 does not work and is too small so I am hoping for 40 and 38.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I used HTD-8M timing belts for my CNC drives - I had the same problem (not knowing size) , so I ordered 2 of each size for about 8 ranges. Belts were 3-5 bucks a piece so not so bad to order extras.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I go down to auto value 52 street SE (across from poor boys tires) they have a wall full of belts and will measure the old one I’ve never had to go anywhere else.
81F7D8B1-26D4-4E44-B9EB-1B9CB2CF366D.png

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I used HTD-8M timing belts for my CNC drives - I had the same problem (not knowing size) , so I ordered 2 of each size for about 8 ranges. Belts were 3-5 bucks a piece so not so bad to order extras.

Mine is just repurposed RF-31 - so a new 3ph VFD controlled motor runs old belt system with 3 possible "belt" speed changes if ever needed. The original belt hardware is 5/8. The sheave on the 3ph motor is non original to the machine as original was missing. I know belts could slip a bit but small changes is mill spindle speed should not be an issue for CNC machine - at least I cannot think of any issue.

Consider a link belt, lets you pick your own length, run it on my mill, drill press and table saw. For the little loss in power the reduced vibration is worth while.